Sole?

Guest Silver Back

Keeping the ear to the ground, I have been getting reports all along the Suffolk/Essex coast, boat anglers have been doing surprisingly well with the 'sole', consistent sport with fish in the 1 to 1.5lb mark. Interestingly these have been day-time catches, I have also noted that the same indication that there were sole about, 'tap, tap bites, wind in, no fish, but chewed or removed bait.

This would be easy to put down to crabs, especially as the activity is early or late in the tide, or through a small tide? Any one had this experience.

The thinking anglers I talked to, put on a 'small' hook, No. 6!!! two hook trace, bingo, sole. Seems any bigger on the hook and we go back to the tap, tap, no fish bite?

How many sea anglers carry no. 6 hooks in their box? I have no. 4s, I think, I might have some very small circles. If I get out soon? I will be trying a few ideas. Currently re-vamping the boats cockpit lighting and anchor light.

As I say these are boat reports, any sole action on the beaches?

Now where's that light Suveran boat rod of mine . . . CJS2 :ph34r:

Hello Cliff

I've still got those 6 and 8 hooks in my tackle box from that evening session we had a few years ago. I haven't used them since though! Fishing for Soles is one of the things that I say I'm going to do every year, but never get round to it.

I think thats where my no.4's came from. The plan was to have a go at night this year hence re-vamping lights, but the heart has not been in the job so it has taken all summer, what with re doing the mast etc. In fact the mast has been the main project, the lights were a spin off as the mast and cockpit electrics are all together and need attention.

Its a blessing having a 20ft long green house, when does one start with 30ft of mast :lol: Now cut down to 8ft effective length above the cabin roof, and re tapered from 6" to 4.5". What animals are electric planes and belt sanders, do a great job but they can be a bit runaway! Chopping out bad wood, and reshaping, supposed to take 4 weeks, six coats of varnish, took nearly 2 weeks. Used an old fashioned nut oil based varnish, takes forever to dry, but remains flexible. Claim all sorts of properties, we shall see.

Will be down the boat this weekend re wiring etc. I might get one hit at the sole this year with my mate in Essex. He has had some blinding sport in the past few weeks during the day. A whole mixture of species, including the sole, involves a lot of anchor work, but he's a good skipper and finds the fish, thats why he's booked up for the next six months. Crews are booking as they disembark in blocks of six! He's planed a 'friends only' Friday night trip as soon as it settles and the tides are right, waiting for that imminent phone call :yeah:

As far as KT is concerned, I think we will be back in operation by the middle of October, still work to do, but my main concern is Hazel by then will not be so dependant on me to be handy. Pretty well at that stage now, so all is looking well.

Cliff

Quite often when I am out boat fishing and it is slow, I will fish one rod big hooks/baits pennelled, and one two hook size 4 baited with a single worm for the sole. This year without putting in two much time and just fishing like this for an hour or so before targetting the bigger stuff again, I have managed about 8 from the sandbanks like the Gunfleet in the daytime.

I love the sight of a nice sole coming up through the water! real buggers to get hold of though - brings a new dimension to slip sole!

There are plenty to be had it's just that nobody fishes for them

Live to fish!!

Quite often when I am out boat fishing and it is slow, I will fish one rod big hooks/baits pennelled, and one two hook size 4 baited with a single worm for the sole. This year without putting in two much time and just fishing like this for an hour or so before targetting the bigger stuff again, I have managed about 8 from the sandbanks like the Gunfleet in the daytime.

I love the sight of a nice sole coming up through the water! real buggers to get hold of though - brings a new dimension to slip sole!

There are plenty to be had it's just that nobody fishes for them

This is exactly what I have been hearing, make the best of the time, we just dont tackle up right, those pesky crabs may have been £7 a pound Sole??? :huh:

:ph34r:

So having read this, and with some sole about locally, I have bought a box of size 6 hooks.

Rig wise, two hook pat seems to be the order of the day.

My questions are:

- long or short snoods?

- presumably worm for bait?

- should I try and keep the bait moving, or static? I have read on here somewhere about both methods for flatfish, but cant remember the drill!

Cheers

G

B.A.S.S. member

So having read this, and with some sole about locally, I have bought a box of size 6 hooks.

Rig wise, two hook pat seems to be the order of the day.

My questions are:

- long or short snoods?

- presumably worm for bait?

- should I try and keep the bait moving, or static? I have read on here somewhere about both methods for flatfish, but cant remember the drill!

Cheers

G

G

From the shore, you want your bait nailed to the deck, short hook lengths and french booms. I can't see it being any different from the boat. I find lug the best bait and particularly those that have been nipped when dug, they go sandy and stiff, they seem to love them.

Hello Cliff

I've still got those 6 and 8 hooks in my tackle box from that evening session we had a few years ago. I haven't used them since though! Fishing for Soles is one of the things that I say I'm going to do every year, but never get round to it.

:clap2: I use size 2 Kamasans or Partridge, no point in anything smaller as they take them no problem, unless they're tiddlers. Just heard today of a 4lb sole caught in Langstone Harbour, good source so I assume it's true. :clap2:

This is exactly what I have been hearing, make the best of the time, we just dont tackle up right, those pesky crabs may have been £7 a pound Sole??? :huh:

:ph34r:

I think you may be onto something there CJS2, sometimes whilst fishing largish baits you get that pluck pluck, but can never connect, I think that it may quite often be small mouthed flatties just having a nibble.

Was going to have a try for the sole on sunday from the beach but it looked like Honolulu by the size of the waves rolling in :bigemo_harabe_net-183: so just managed a couple of schoolies and an eel that managed to hang itself on both hooks on a pennell!

Live to fish!!