Balanced

sam-cox

What approach would you guys recommend one should take when trying to educate other anglers in sensible angling practices?

My pals and I are often talking to other anglers about conservation of fish stocks; we explain all the normal stuff like its best to return most decent fish and only to take the odd one for the pot. Some listen, most think we are bonkers.

For example when catching bass recently an oriental family were very cheased off that we were letting our fish go and even offered us money for our bass. We continued to release our fish and they looked on with astonished looks on their faces.

None of the anglers we spoke to said well done for letting them go.

I was advised to let advise anglers to join the NFSA but I feel I cant do that until I have been a member long enough to comment on whether they are any good or not.

Plus I can’t see our many foreign anglers joining.

It seems to me that most SRA are in it for them selves are more often that not flog their catch to.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

What approach would you guys recommend one should take when trying to educate other anglers in sensible angling practices?

My pals and I are often talking to other anglers about conservation of fish stocks; we explain all the normal stuff like its best to return most decent fish and only to take the odd one for the pot. Some listen, most think we are bonkers.

For example when catching bass recently an oriental family were very cheased off that we were letting our fish go and even offered us money for our bass. We continued to release our fish and they looked on with astonished looks on their faces.

I was advised to let advise anglers to join the NFSA but I feel I cant do that until I have been a member long enough to comment on whether they are any good or not.

It seems to me that most SRA are in it for them selves are more often that not flog their catch to.

Hi sam,

i am afraid the best thing you can do and are doing is to carry on releasing most of what you catch and hope it rubs off on others so to speak, as for the chinese and the rest, you not going to change their cultural tendences i am afraid :wallbash: they would think nothing of knocking your pet jack russel on the head and sticking it in the pot for lunch, se ya............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

I always think that the first point is when people say- I want to go fishing. Then they tell you they want to catch a bass!

I use that as an oportunity to tell them they will only catch them if they understand them, and then you can inform them a little on the fish, their breeding habits, and associated issues.

Wont work for everyone, but works on a few who are more willing to make an effort.

B.A.S.S. member

Sam Hi there,

Did you talk to the family about farmed Bass and how that could be the best way forward for their requirements. All people love to eat Bass MYSELF included but i will only buy farmed Bass right or wrong. :thumbs:

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.