Fishing Holidays

steve-law

I saw an episode of Wet Nets a few days ago where Mat & Mick were on a 2 day Canoe adventure on the Severn with a gillie catching Barbel. Does anyone know who operates these trips and how to contact them? All assistance greatfully received. Steve

A friend of mine recently went down the river severn. He origanaly went to hire a canoe but found it would be cheaper getting a boat of ebay. he bought a boat for £60 brand new and it also had rod holders on the boat.

If he would of rented the boat for two days it would of cost him £70. £25 a day. £20 insurance (optional)

he strongly recommended the stretch of river between shrewsbury and ironbridge in shropshire. he said places he found to fish were inpossible to fish without a boat. he caught barbel to 10lb a rod length out next to tree roots and overhabging trees.

84854438.png

A friend of mine recently went down the river severn. He origanaly went to hire a canoe but found it would be cheaper getting a boat of ebay. he bought a boat for £60 brand new and it also had rod holders on the boat.

So can anyone just drop a boat in the river and head off in it? I always assumed there would be some licensing/insurance/permission implications? How about canals? Are they any different?

Cheers,

Del

Steve Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Del I don't know whether you need a license on a particular water just to use a boat on it. I know you do though on my local rivers.

However if you intend actually fishing from the boat you may run into problems. This is what I posted recently on the kayak forum.

"Whether fishing from a boat in freshwater in England & Wales is legal (the law is different in Scotland), depends on whether the water is a public or private fishery. If it's a private fishery you can't fish the water without permission of the controller of the fishing rights. Note that whether you fish from the bank or a boat is immaterial. If the water is designated a public fishery you can fish from either bank or boat, provided of course you have a valid rod licence.

So how do you tell what type of fishery is it? Well, with a few exceptions like the Norfolk Broads the only public fisheries are tidal rivers. (Having said that, there's even the odd stretch of these that are private.) You can fish from a boat on all public fisheries, although you aren't allowed to moor up or cross private land to get access as this would be trespass.

If you do fish a private fishery you're committing a criminal offence under the Theft Act. This is regardless of whether you remove any fish. Why theft? Well, it's considered that you've stolen the fishing rights of the owner.

So to answer the specific question of whether it's legal to fish from a boat on waters where a club controls the fishing rights, the answer is no - unless of course you're a member of the club and it allows boat fishing.

Further details can be found in the excellent book "Angler's Law in England & Wales" by R.I. Millichamp."

I'd add that you may also run foul of local byelaws. For instance trolling (fishing under power) is banned in certain areas.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Sounds like a lot of people who fish from a boat are breaking the rules, perhaps all!

Hi Mathew

You are probably right about some people but not all, If I do use a boat to fish anywhere be that Windermere or the Ouse or even the Severn then part of the arrangements will be obtaining the correct permissions and licences for wherever I fish. That is a principle I would always endorse and follow.

Fishing a River from a Boat of any kind opens up so many more possibilities however I would allways give priority to any Bankside angler - its called respect.

I hope to glide past you one day.

Steve

As long as you glide ;) The last thing I need is another tidal wave on the banks!

Nice one Mathew :clap:

I promise to be like Mohammed ALI - Float like a butterfly and sting like a Bee but without a ripple, from a slowly and considerately paddled canoe :yeah::fishing::boat::fishing1::bigemo_harabe_net-163: .