samphire hoe, where and when

***Simon***

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fished Samphire Hoe some years ago. It certainly is a tackle graveyard. The site and bottom is made up of the soft rock/chalk excavated for the channel tunnel. Because of the amount of huge boulders and the commercial fishing boats being precluded from the area, the fish have colonised it. It can be a productive site as long as you dont mind losing endless tackle. For us, it seemed to be lost tackle for every 2-3 casts. They say that the areas around peg 50 are less prone to snags, but we didnt find this to be the case. You can fish it at night, which may the the most productive time, but this is reserved for subscribers. I am not sure what time you can fish it up to, but things may have changed. Anyway, good luck and perhaps you'll post the results of your trip on here.

Enfield North London

***simon***

Low tide will not be a problem, other than you will

be able to see the large Bass swim over your bait and ignore it :D

Last year i had two doubles cruise by straight over

where i had my baits :(

Rig wise, anything with a hook included.

Bait: take a box of squid, as the wrasse will soon clean you out of worm.

Where: most seem to fish out the front :confused: do not know why. The Folkestone end looks good, but always go Dover way as i always catch there.

I will be there Tuesday, casting approx 30 yards towards the pier. One rod will be a heavy spinner with a float, the other on the bottom with a big bait. A light spinning rod for bait.

Any thing could turn up

Posted Image

1509tarpon_75_.gif

The reason why large ( 5lb plus) Bass sometimes ignore a bait is because it's too small. Try a 6/0 Kamasan Bass hook with half a mackerel and guts with it. If you look at the mouth of a 5 pounder, a 6/0 gets lost in it. Not many big Bass will ignore that!

Best of luck.

[ 14. August 2005, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: maidstonemike ]

Simon, could you post on here the time you can fish up to, entrance fee and whether it was crowded when you fished. And of course, whether you did well! I really fancy going back, but remember being very P****d with the loss of tackle, even when I float fished!

Enfield North London

yes i'll try and gather as much info and pics as possible for you codroamer.

i'll probably only be fishing a whole mackerel head down the wall on an 8/0 hook for the big bass and have a carp rod also down the wall for wrasse, pollack etc.

dont know what my dad will be doing but i'll give you a report wednesday night.

should be fun though!!!

always look on the bright side of life