anchor line

s2vto

Don't make the mistake of using thin line, I used to be a boat owner, and if your anchor does get stuck, you won't be able to pull very hard on a thin line, it will cut into your hands.

Don't forget the setup is so much ligheter than what you use in a boat, including the trip, so it is much easier to pull out. I carry a small wooden preist and use that to pull for breaks with the braid I use on my reels, a few turns around that is all it takes. The same applies with the anchor line. I have no problem handling the 65Kg dacron whch is about 1mm, although I prefer to use the 110Kg when I can at about 1.5mm.

I prefer the thinner line when there is good tide run as well, less drag.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-9040-1160933292_thumb.jpg

Ha ha, fair assumption mate :):):yeah:

Dave

You wanna market them Richi!! Put me down for one :)

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Mine is similar - see pic below (hopefully).

Easily made from a length of broom handle, a couple of Artex mixers/stirrers from B&Q, and a few screws and bolts.

It can either be hand-held, or be placed in the rod holder next to the anchor trolley.

As you can see, it has a cleat on top for tying-off and the line ends in a SS clip which I use either to attach to the anchor chain, or a sea anchor (a collapsible bucket) or to loop around and tie up to buoys etc.

The line is the B&Q stuff.

Took about an hour to make.

It all fits into a small craft box, together with the folding anchor and 2 feet of chain.

It all fits into a small craft box, together with the folding anchor and 2 feet of chain.

SUPERB!!!!

Soon as I can source a plastic reel, I am havin a go at makin one of them :):):)

Not many places close by where I am (tumbleweed rolls past as he speaks!) :lol:

Cheers PB

post-9040-1160933292_thumb.jpg

Took about an hour to make.

:clap: what a brilliant job you made of that bazza :clap:

total genius using the stirrers :clap: ---do they do them in red? :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Thanks,

I've only ever seen them in blue - a couple of quid each.

Blue it will have to be then bazza--------my reel has started to split after a year's hard graft so it's off to B&Q tonight-I've got to have one they look so pretty! :thumbs:

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

Blue it will have to be then bazza--------my reel has started to split after a year's hard graft so it's off to B&Q tonight-I've got to have one they look so pretty! :thumbs:

Another modification to the excellent Angler’s Afloat anchor trolley system that gets the trolley nearer the stern. No extra holes were drilled, as an existing hole for the rudder attachment was used to attach the pad eye, and as a bonus this dispenses with the fiddly job of squeezing two ends of the bungee through a single hole.

For the trolley guides, (idea pinched from Spanner) I used 2 x 75mm M5 panheads (the forward one replaces the eye pad that’s level with the end of the foot well) and a couple of cut down felt pens to act as crude rollers. My inner anorak would no doubt have tried to persuade me to spend silly money on a pair of marine-standard, sealed bearing rollers if I’d found any on the internet, but I didn’t, and anyway these appear to work perfectly well.

I didn’t bother extending it to the front, as I rarely anchor off the bow, but it would be dead easy to replace the carrying handle eyelet with a couple of pad eyes, one for the trolley, one for the handle, and either add another guide or move the existing front one forward to where the pulley attaches in the AA version.

AnchorTrolleyStern.jpg

TrolleyPulleyStern.jpg

TrolleyGuideStern.jpg

Now, off to B&Q for those artex mixers and see if my cunning plan is anything like Richi's cunning plan :yeah:

Now, off to B&Q for those artex mixers and see if my cunning plan is anything like Richi's cunning plan :yeah:

if it involves a paint roller ,some32mmpvc pipe, some 40mm pvc pipe ,some 15mm pvc pipe and a few nuts and bolts it may well be! stand by!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5