A day at a Botanical Gardens

Newt

Just back from a long weekend trip to Richmond, Virginia and we managed to work in a little sightseeing time. We decided to take a look at a Botanical Garden and fell in love with the place. Next trip we plan to devote a full day rather than the 3-4 hours we were able to spend this time.

credit note - the really great looking photos are ones Jan took

A small section planted with flowers designed to attract butterflys was past it's peak but then again, so are butterflys in October.

butterfly-plants3.jpg

There were still a few late season beauties hanging around

butterfly1.jpg

This was in the Japanese Garden section.

japanese-gardens1.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what this flower is but it does bloom in Virginia in October.

anem2.jpg

This late in the year, most of the really pretty displays were in the conservatory building.

conservatory-1.jpg

Needs no introduction

bird-of-paradise1.jpg

And a strange visitor from someplace. It looks like something I've seen recently but for the life of me, I can't remember which country.

thatch-cottage2.jpg

A couple from the tropical room

orchadsbrom.jpg

orchads6.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nice pics, Newt. Don't suppose you got any of you running round there naked? :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton - sorry but it was pretty cool that day and raining off and on so I had on my waterproofs when outside.

John - thanks for that info. Well named flower I think. Wish I'd gotten a clearer photo though. I think Jan did and I'll try to snag one from her to replace the slightly fuzzy one I posted.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt

I just nipped out and took this, my outhouse wall is covered with the plant. It's over it's best this time of the year but does look spectacular when in full bloom.

passionflower.jpg

and the fruit is to die for :sun:

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Guest Ferret1959

I had some seeds from my Dads passion flower late last year.

Put them in the warm airing cupboard to germinate and forgot all about them.

When I did remember I thought they were dead, a few days later little shoots started to show.

Seems they needed the 'warm' spell to trigger them.

Anyhow they reckon the flowers don't show for four years so just three more to wait.:)