Cobra Marauder XF?

JRT

I know the P13 is THE fishing kayak in the UK, but comfort is higher on my list of priorities than performance. I want to be able to move around once afloat and for my arse not to turn into concrete after a couple of hour, so a wider seating space is a must. I'll be fluff chucking so primary stability and sitting side saddle are important to.

So what about the Cobra Marauder XF? I really like the look of the flat deck and the hatches and it's not too heavy. Starts at £499.

http://www.cobrakayaks.co.uk/

Does any one have any experience of these?

JRT

I know the P13 is THE fishing kayak in the UK, but comfort is higher on my list of priorities than performance. I want to be able to move around once afloat and for my arse not to turn into concrete after a couple of hour, so a wider seating space is a must. I'll be fluff chucking so primary stability and sitting side saddle are important to.

So what about the Cobra Marauder XF? I really like the look of the flat deck and the hatches and it's not too heavy. Starts at £499.

http://www.cobrakayaks.co.uk/

Does any one have any experience of these?

JRT

Looks nice and well built!

I have the ocean drifter which is very wide and I can easily kneel on it and grab stuff from the tankwell etc. It is very stable and not too slow either.

Unfortunately I have no experience of the marauder.

Best is to try before you buy but if you are like me you will lose your patience quite quickly.

dare to be different :thumbs:

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Cobra kayaks are very well made, I have the Navigator has a winged hull and is not the best for fishing at anchor as it tends to slap, the Marauder has a new hull and it is was for the fact that is too long for my garage I would have one, but the price you see there £475 does not include the hatches they are extra 2 @ £65 and

2 @£ 45.

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

If your mainly SWFFing, I would consider the Drifter, Prowler, Tarpon 140, the most important thing is there are no silly little clips, everthing is nicely rounded off, keep the gadgets to a minimum, even rudders can be a real pain. The Prowler and Tarpon are perfect in my eyes, if your going to keep your legs in the cockpit then you will need something wider like the Drifter as you will be limited on where you can strip your line.

I tend to sit side saddle (on the hatch in the Prowler) and strip into the seat, this causes the least amount of tangles for my eratic style.

The Marauder does look interesting and I do like the style of hatch, they have the same style on the new Big Game and Hobie Adventure, they look to seal very well.

I believe that the new Distrubutors will allow you a paddle before you buy, "but only in suitable conditions" what ever that means :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thanks guys.

I'll give the Cobra guys a call and see what they have to say. Hopefully I'll get a go on Gonzo's drifter when he gets it to.

Mike, good to hear from you mate! So when does the fishing shut down over there?

Cheers

John

Edited by JRT

I checked out the cobra range in great detail and whilst they are well built, i found that th eprice quoted of 475 spiralled out of control when you put on all the things you needed, like hatches, seat, paddle etc, i didnt like the hatches either. Although they were very secure and dry, they are fiddly and time consumiing to open or close. The marauder is, i believe a heavy boat too.

Some of the dealers i spoke to said they no longer stock them as the ocean and wilderness systems boats are sooooooo much better. That said, Paul at cobra (or extreme products as i think they are called) couldnt have been more helpful.

I'm a 6'4 16 stone oaf and i can fly fish very comfortably from it, front on or side saddle

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network

I got a Tarpon 140 and find it stable enough for me (17st 6'2") to move around in including sitting side saddle when lure fishing.

I went out with stu (s2vto) last weekend and was amazed when he got up on his knees, turned around and started fishing backwards :o he is only a small guy but he handled it really well in a wind over tide run going back up river. It's worth taking a good look at if you want room and stability.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

I got a Tarpon 140 and find it stable enough for me (17st 6'2") to move around in including sitting side saddle when lure fishing.

I went out with stu (s2vto) last weekend and was amazed when he got up on his knees, turned around and started fishing backwards :o he is only a small guy but he handled it really well in a wind over tide run going back up river. It's worth taking a good look at if you want room and stability.

Very stable yak and being a pup helps too :lol:

GB sent you pm with no reply yet :(

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse