PERCH BAITS

Guest Darren Clarke

Guest Darren Clarke

Hi All,

I have to confess to being a Perch nut and have recently found a stillwater where there are a few clonkers.

I think bait wise i am going to go for small freshwater deadbaits but rather than catch and kill baits on the day, would the small frozen Roach that you you can buy from the tackle shop for pike fishing be ok, or must i have fresh baits?

Hi Darren and welcome to the Forum from another perch nut!

Fresh baits are undoubtedly best. I've used baits I've frozen myself but the results have been a lot poorer. Further advantages of fresh bait are that you kill only the number of baits you need, plus you know where the baits havecome from.

As you probably know static sea baits are much inferior to freshwater deads on the vast majority of waters. It may be that perch don't much like the flavour, or it may be that the sea baits aren't fresh enough.

Unfortunately all the evidence points to having to catch baits on the day - and you'll already know that it's not always easy to do so!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that if you're fishing for baits you may also be drawing perch into your swim with the maggots and small fish commotion. While you're catching baits fish a lob on another rod, you may just get a few bonus perch. Good luck!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Good point, Anderoo!

Darren, if you haven't already read them, you may find some of my perch articles here on Angler's net to be of interest. the first and last are especially relevant. Go to http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/introsteve.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest Darren Clarke
Good point, Anderoo!

Darren, if you haven't already read them, you may find some of my perch articles here on Angler's net to be of interest. the first and last are especially relevant. Go to http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/introsteve.htm

fgdfgggggggggggggggggggggggg

Hi, Thanks for the reply's, I have tried lobworms fished over a bed of red maggots but was pested by Carp and other species although i suspect that when the weather cools a bit more i may have more joy with these. My thought of using deadbaits might be a bit more selective and pick out the bigger ones. I have a full day planned for next week so i will let you know how i got on.

Thanks

Darren

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Darren Clarke
fgdfgggggggggggggggggggggggg

Hi, Thanks for the reply's, I have tried lobworms fished over a bed of red maggots but was pested by Carp and other species although i suspect that when the weather cools a bit more i may have more joy with these. My thought of using deadbaits might be a bit more selective and pick out the bigger ones. I have a full day planned for next week so i will let you know how i got on.

Thanks

Darren

Whilst I have never noticed a difference when Pike fishing between frozen and fresh deadbaits I agree with Steve that Perch (and I would also add Eels and Zander) seem to much prefer freshly caught and killed baits.

Why? Im blowed if I know!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Darren Clarke

Hi

Third attempt at this now,

I had my planned perch fishing day yesterday and to be honest it was a bit disappointing. I did manage two perch of 1lb and 1lb 5oz but these were on the lobworm rod and not on the deadbaits. I fished with a running rig with a two ounce lead, ultra light bobbins with a two and a half foot drop, 6lb mainline, 4lb flourocarbon hooklength of 24 inches to a size 8 hook. This set up always seems to do the business when fishing with lobworms but was wondering if any changes need to be made for the deadbaits. To be fair to myself, i think the frosts and clear skies over the last week have not helped so i am not too down hearted. I will be giving the deadbaiting more time in the future and hopefully when the weather picks up i will get the rewards.

Guest Darren Clarke

Hi,

Tried sending this several times already but for some reason its not showing up.

Anyway, I had my planned Perch fishing day yesterday and i'm afraid it did'nt go according to plan. I fished with lobworms on one rod and deadbaits on the other. I did have two perch, one of 1lb and the other at 1lb 5oz but both were on the lobworm rod. Tactics were ultra light bobbins with a two and a half foot drop, 6lb mainline, 4lb flourocarbon hooklength of 24 inches to a size 8 wide gape hook all fished with a running leger set up with a 2 ounce lead. This set up has done ok for me in the past fished with lobworms and was wondering if anything needs to be changed for the deadbaits? To be fair to myself, the weather has been frosty and clear for the past week so i don't think that has helped my cause.

Regards