Advice on legering

Ali MacDonald

Hi all

Up until now (last 2 years) since I started fishing I have been using the waggler float method. I read various angling mags which suggest legering with a weight could be a useful way of catching carp. Despite all the reading I am uncertain of the following and wonder if anyone can answer these questions:

1. My main rod is a Daiwa Harrier waggler rod (13') - is this suitable for legering and is so what weight limit of lead ?

2. If I were to buy another carp rod with a bit of power (2-3lb test curve) - which would be best at a reasonable price (£50-100)

3. The reel I currently use is a Shimano Exage 2500 - is this suitable for legering, if not any suggestions of a reasonably cheap reel ?

4. Having seen a few diagrams of leger rigs - what are the swivel clips used to attach the weight/lead ? and is there a simple rig to start off with ?

5. Any other hints ?

Thanks

Ali

a lot depends on if you just want to ledger for carp. Also what sort of waters, fishing margins close in or fishing at range theres a specific rod for it all. if your starting out (the specimen guys would probably be better than me at this) i would opt for something about 2 1/2 test through action and a real loaded with 10-12lb line (or braid of 30lb) might be best to stick to mono to begin with. as for rigs keep it simple i'm not one for the latest fangled ideas i think most are to catch anglers than fish.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Thanks guys but some clear instructions are what I need !

Ali

I think what you are asking (Carp Ledgering) is a huge subject, that without posting a few pages would never cover nearly as much as you need to know. I am not a carp anglar as such ie sitting behind buzzers, and that bivvy thing. But I do enjoy a spot of carp fishing in the margins and with floating baits....so.

Yes your current matchs rod is too light, you will need a carp match rod to take mainlines up to say 6lbs. I have a couple and the are also a good Tench and Bream waggler Rod. You should not use a waggler rod for ledgering so....

You will need a carp rod for this, there are many on the market, if you intend to cast a bait a long distance then you will need a stroger rod, say a 2lb t.c If you are a novice I would suggst you think before you go down this route, suggest you join a local club and seek advice, there are many rigs and baits you need to get to grips with to be successful. so.....

Why not fish the margins or the surface? Deadly in the spring and summer, and every newcomer can catch.

The rod you will need fot margin fishing would be 'parabolic' in action, so enough power to stop the fish , but springy enough to prevent the hook pulling, if your lucky. Very exciting margin fishing, you can either use a ledger or a float. Reels will need to be of good quality sush as the Shimano baitrunner or similar.

As far as surface fishing is concerned you will need a rod that will subtly cast a crust or pellett etc and provide enough power to land a carp. A 1.50 t.c carp rod will be fine, Wychwood would be worth a look.

Hope this helps, there are lots of spaces I havn't filled in, but there is no substitute for learning before taking the plunge.

Edited by Rabbit

Where are you fishing Ali? On a lot of waters in Suffolk you would be totally outgunning the fish with a 2 3/4lb TC rod. Let me know where you fish and I can probably advise you.

Waveney One

I am fairly new to angling (2 yrs) but have fished at Creeting lakes where the fish are small and also more recently Melton Lakes where I believe there are some large carp, although I am happy to catch anything ! I am also considering fishing at the match lake at Suffolk waterpark. Had one trip to Rectory Farm at Hingham in Norfolk which was a good fish for me with half a dozen carp of 4-6lb in a 4 hour session

Ali

Waveney One

I am fairly new to angling (2 yrs) but have fished at Creeting lakes where the fish are small and also more recently Melton Lakes where I believe there are some large carp, although I am happy to catch anything ! I am also considering fishing at the match lake at Suffolk waterpark. Had one trip to Rectory Farm at Hingham in Norfolk which was a good fish for me with half a dozen carp of 4-6lb in a 4 hour session

Ali

I would stay away from an out and out carp rod, you really don't need that power if you are going after match carp. Try looking at a twin top avon/quiver rod of about 1.25-1.5 lb test curve, then you can use the avon top to float fishing as well as leger. I have had 9lb carp out quite easily with a similar rod. You can also use the quivertip for feeder fishing for roach, bream and tench. It is an altogether more versatile rod for an all-round angler than a carp rod.

If you want to leger I would step up your reel size to a 4000, although the exage 2500 is a lovely float reel it will soon show its lack of power if you are throwing large weights around/targetting bigger fish. Both shimano and Okuma do a 4000 size reel with rear drag for about £20.

I take all your comments as I am a novice - but all I am after is my first double figure carp ! The concept of legering interests me, but I want to get the rig right. Thanks for all your comments...

Ali

Best of luck Ali, you asked about ledgering for carp, and the tackle you would need. You you were unaware that a match rod would not be suitable, I hope that you are perhaps a little more enlightened as to tackle you will need. You said that you have read up on the subject but you were still unclear perhaps you could enlighten us as to what you have been reading on the subject , I am sure someone on AN could advise better material.

You say you want to get the 'rig' right, what still concerns you?