Scales Calibration

Leon Roskilly

Until around 3 years ago a friend of mine was able to get my scales calibrated for a nominal cost.

Unfortunately he's now moved overseas, and I've not had my scales calibrated since.

Experience shows that accuracy does tend to wander off with time and use and I'd like to ensure that any new pb I manage is correct, rather than a few important ounces out.

So, where can I (and anyone else) get their scales calibrated, and how much is it likely to cost?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

when we had the fuel station i asked the lass who came round from wieghts and measures to check mine for me, being over the roiad from the river i always had my gear in the back room and when she said ok it didn't take me long to go get both sets out.

My avons were out (reading over) and my digi scales were reading under, i asked her if she had any idea on how to get the reading right and she said the dial scales can normally be done by using some screw or another inside (i didn't bother cos i'd knacker them) and the digis could be done by adding solder to the "hook" again i didn't bother cos knowing me i'd knacker them as well.

She did mention a company in Leicester that calibrate any kind of wieghing scale but i can't remember what they were called sorry.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Leon, Avons are really easy to do yourself and my 300lb salter dial scales much the same.I havnt got any diagrams but it is just a case of turning a couple of screws and being able to weigh a couple of known weights.I go down to my local gym to check my big scales and as you say they do wander off a bit over time.Ive never found more than a couple of ounces out on my 40lb Avons but on my Salters they can be out (normally under strangely enough) by up to 15lb.My avons can be "adjusted" using the "zeroing" screw on the back but I prefer to keep this set in the middle and adjust it internally as I can then "zero" the scales with a wet sling on to save doing the maths.

After any PB I check them with known weights to ensure the weigt recorded was acurate.Havnt bothered with get them checked for years now I do this.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Leon, you should be able to tell a PB by now.

My PB carp, wasn't my heaviest, it was the one I enjoyed catching the most (which in actual fact, may have been one of the four I caught yesterday, when my head started spinning due to all the work which is coming in, making it neccessary to drop out of 2 trips to Timsbury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I decided I NEEDED to fish, instead of wanting to fish. I fished a new lake, and won). I didn't weigh them, it didn't matter.

In fact, when I take photos of fish these days, it's usually to remind me of a special or lovely day (by the way, our secret location is looking VERY good at the moment, and I can just abouit taste the beer at the moment). Records can wait.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Hi Lepn, When I had my double from the Dorset Stour I took mine into Ringwood tackle and they did them for nothing :) They were an onze out so my 14.3 turned out to 14lb 2oz but did I mind, nah :) you could try your local tackle shop of phone up the Weights & Measures people.

The other place I was thinking of trying is the maufacturer.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!