SEA - OTTER 2 NOW SPONSORED BY SHAKESPEAR

big_cod

Guest challenge

This is a very debateable question, “what gear is best for shading” you can go to light with your rod.

We often work wrecks in no more than 15 to 20 meters of water. Now you might think lighter the rod the better, (and of course lighter the gear to go with it) but that is not always the case.

When you get a take (wreck fishing) you must get that fish away from the wreck as quick as possible to give you any chance of getting it up. Now we are only talking about 3 to 6 feet here but that is the crucial depth and time when first playing your fish.

I have seen lads using up tiding rods having great fun and sport with them, but the amount of fish and gear they loose because at the crucial stage of having the fish take the shad, they cannot get the fish away from the wreck fast enough. No matter how high you lift your rod or how fast you try and wind, because of the lightness of your gear and the flexibility of your rod the fish will be back in the wreck before you have time to think ****, wrong rod.

When working in shallow water like that and the fish being so wick that it is hard enough trying to keep control of the fish with the best of gear.

Its great fun using light gear, but what I am trying to say is don’t go to light. These fish need to be shown respect; otherwise they will nip you more times than becomes acceptable.

Regards.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic