Guess the weight

ginger

Budgie,

I have found length to weight to be very un-reliable. I have had fish 33" long and not go 10lb, then I have had fish that are 28" long and have gone 10lb. It is not down to a speciffic river either, although I would say the Avon fish seem to be shorter than the Severn and Teme fish.

Paul

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budgie,

I have found length to weight to be very un-reliable. I have had fish 33" long and not go 10lb, then I have had fish that are 28" long and have gone 10lb. It is not down to a speciffic river either, although I would say the Avon fish seem to be shorter than the Severn and Teme fish.

This raises a very interesting point that I will open a new thread on!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Although its very hard to tell from a photograph, the fish I would say is probably over 11lb and could be closer to a 12.

Anyway it doesnt really matter, the memory of that fish will be with you forever, so perhaps its best not knowing its true weight.

Dont you just love 'em.

Edited by Rabbit

I wish I was confident enough to determine the maximum radius of a fish held in a folded attitude for a photograph....I'll suggest a possible 13lb on the assumption that this particular fish hasn't signed up to it's rivers stereotype.

Paul

I hate to be a party pooper, but it is nowhere near 15 pounds - it might just scrape over 11 though.

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Talk about hero to zero, I managed to get a few hours in on Sunday morning not on the river but at Butterley Reservoir, Ripley. Got there before dawn and picked a swim in a part I have never fished before. Spent most of the time in shirt sleeves basking in the sun with dragonflies mating and laying eggs, insects hatching off the water all in what I could only describe as a nice summers day! Result, perfect fishing weather, slight ripple but clear water........not a sausage nor even a fish. I just KNOW I should have driven the extra half hour to the river again just get a 15lb barbel to weigh. As I said before, interesting range of weights which makes speculation pointless. It was by far the biggest I have ever caught and if it had been 5lbs I would have been equally happy. Thanks for the kind words, I am now inspired to go and do it again, will keep you posted although it is back to the Norfolk gravel pits for the next month or so although I may give the Great Ouse at Ten Mile Bank a go for a 'double' Zander, the biggest (and only zander I have ever caught was last winter at the above venue and it must have been all of 2 or maybe 3 ounces. Had I taken a picture I could have posted it here for your views.

Great fish Ginger, whatever the weight! The important thing is it gives you a passion to continue, and know that you have the abilitiy and tactics to catch a great fish.

I love piking, and my mission this year was to get a double figure for the first time. The one time I got one on the bank that I was sure was a double figure, my scales were broken!

The guys on here said anything from 9 to 12lb, so I settled that it was a double figure and I was happy.

sorry how I did the old classic of turning somebody elses thread into telling of my own story, but it was simply to illustrate the joy is what you get from catching the fish, no matter what it weighs!

God I love fishing! Corny to say that but it's true!

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

• 3 weeks later...

The picture does not show the girth nor the thickness of the fish, but believe me it was a very chunky fish, and in my humble opinion (grudgingly so) I reckon on 12lb at least,

:wallbash: well done bro'

"We will sit down and discuss it, then decide that I was right in the first place" Brian Clough the best england manager we NEVER had

What's up our kid, can't you sleep for dreaming about big barbel!!! Might have another go a week on Saturday, Big D is going shopping with her sisters when we are over, I am really sorry you cannot make it on Saturdays.