never been so pleased with a lure

Andy_1984

Budgie - if you put a weighted rattle into the front end of the kickin minnow lure it really seems to help the 'crippled' action and offer a little noise to help fish locate the lure.

I like the brass tube with a couple of steel balls inside and a pointed end to make it easy to push into a soft plastic (jelly) lure.

WormRattles-FL.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got one of those 4play lures in a different colour, haven't tried it out yet but am going lure fishing on the river at the weekend so may give it a go.

Prologic lures do tend to work well on the river, had quite a few goood fish recently on one of their rattle shads in white...very lifelike action

Edited by Neil G

Success! finally caught a 5lb'ish pike on Speirswharf (my local stretch of canal)with the 4play lure. the last time i caught one on lures here was over a year ago

im gonna get another 4play lure in different colors/pattern, perhaps the yellow bio hazard one :D

1195138272877.jpg

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

lol @ that biohazard pattern, definately different and I bet the pike don't care either.

looking forward to a day's lure fishing tomorrow, never really had much confidence in the method preferring to leapfrog baits but must persevere as I know it's so hassle free compared to baits.

I've got lures in my collection that at some time or the other I was convinced were sure-fired bankers, only to find that they became blankers :(

That's one of the really frustrating bits about lure fishing.

Sometimes you are able to match the right lure, to the right water, to the right conditions, at the right season, working the right colour in just the right way that you can do no wrong.

But the same lure used by another angler, or on the next day, or on a different water is studiously ignored.

Every now and again, a new lure is used by top lure angler who bags up and writes an article, to be followed by confirmatory letters from dozens who try it and have success (even though hundreds more try it an blank), and it becomes the new 'have to have' lure.

I guess that the confidence to be gained from working a lure that you have been assured is a sure-fire fish catcher helps to bank fish, but really IME there is no magic fish catching lure.

That a lure sometimes works for some anglers is perhaps enough to justify its place in an angler's collection, but like all lures it has to be used on the right day, the right ......etc., to deliver.

And for some anglers it never will (each of us develop a range of subtley different styles and speeds of retrieve that are suited to particular lures, so that two anglers using the same lure fishing together can have very different results).

There's been plenty written about selecting the right lure for the right conditions, but I'm beginning to realise that there are so many changing factors, anyone who begins to think that they have cracked some of the secrets of what triggers a pike to strike are misleadining themselves.

Even those that regularly outfish others and think that they know why are probably mostly fooling themselves!

So, if you buy one of these and don't find instant success, don't be too dejected.

On the right day, the right water..........

And you will find that over time you will develop a collection of favourites that work for you, and the places you fish :)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

sure leon but for me i just cant explain why for one year i have tried all sorts of lures, spinners, baits and never once caught a pike on the canal until i tried this lure the only other "One" that has worked and only once caught a pike was a white toby spoon with holographic pattern on it

its just beyond belief and im genuinely confused as to why

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• 3 months later...
I actually wanted one of their "Free styler" top water lures to try but they sent the 4 Play by mistake.Normally I use rubber swimbaits such as the Storm Kickin Minnow if I want that sort of action so wasnt to interested! Be interesting to see if it does actually produce well for you guys who have them.I say that as Ive had some "great looking action" baits that have simply failed to produce! The Burmek B1 being a prime example,great action but I nor anyone I know have caught on one!

hah and i thought i made a mistake buying the junior invaders lol

but on a serious note ive found a source of cheapish wooden swim baits (less than a tenner each)

and initial impressions are good just need to use them in anger instead of standing on the toilet and seeing how they work in the bath :D

sure leon but for me i just cant explain why for one year i have tried all sorts of lures, spinners, baits and never once caught a pike on the canal until i tried this lure the only other "One" that has worked and only once caught a pike was a white toby spoon with holographic pattern on it

its just beyond belief and im genuinely confused as to why

The pike had never seen anything like it and it just happened to fish in the right hit zone. By hook or by crook or just by sheer luck...lol..you just happened to come across a lure that rings the pike's bells.

I'm not decrying your skills but remember Andy, the fish in that canal have see many of the same old, same old spinners etc. which make a very distinctive hum. The pike in there will be very attuned to what is 'old hat' and most probably dangerous. You lucky 4-play was something new and it does behave something like a livie and the way a showed you show to fish these lure types was to mimic the actions of a dying fish....so bingo....the lure works.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I am treating myself to some plastic lures and thought I'd have a go at the 4-Play. However there seems to be two types, the Jerk & Swim and the Lip-Lure. I'm not certain which would be best for me to choose. Which one are you lot talking about?

http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/fishingta.../prods/537.html

Late edit: Aah. Here's another one too... so now there is are two choices to be made... 13 or 19cm and Jerk & Swim or Lip-Lure.

http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/fishingta.../prods/297.html

Thanks.

MC

Try the white Prologic Rattle smolts....been out a few times this week in the bitter cold and have managed a few fish on on that pattern...great little lure that is amazingly lifelike