FISH SIZES

DANNYG4561

hi all just joined this site, all it good so far. i like it..

i aint been fishing for a few years (about 3) and i know that the "fish plan" is going to rat sh*t. has there been any changes to the cod size for keeps??? also i live in newcastle and im due to go fishing to night any good areas that any1 could advise. much appriciated..

hi all just joined this site, all it good so far. i like it..

i aint been fishing for a few years (about 3) and i know that the "fish plan" is going to rat sh*t. has there been any changes to the cod size for keeps??? also i live in newcastle and im due to go fishing to night any good areas that any1 could advise. much appriciated..

Welcome to the site mate. Sad to say mate but its now catch and return.

Only joking - have a look here :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/sizelimits.php

Have a look here for some marks :

http://www.vikingstopmarks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-marks-index.php

Edited by glennk

The cod fishery has really been decimated by the ever-greedy commercial fishing fleet.

However the commercial fleet isn’t the only evil at work hear!

Fast growing fish like cod are more that capable of reproducing enough fry that the fishery could get back on its feet if left alone.

But they are still being hammered and climate change has now kicked in. This means that although the cod are breeding well the zoo plankton that immature codling feed on is not there, it has moved north to colder water. So the baby codling have very little to feed on.

Thats as I understand it anyhow.

ty for ur info, as i understand it tho if the cod were left alone for 24 months they wud over populate the sea, have i been miss informed?

Don't know about zooplankton but the 8 codling biggest 6 pounds(including 3 about 6 inch long) I caught on Wednesday night were all choked full of pipefish.

Unfortunately pipefish don't have the same nutrient quality and oil as what the cod should be eating. Many birds that ordinarily rely on sandeel have turned to feeding their young pipefish, and they haven't done too well at all on the diet.

Cod may be able to produce a lot of fry, but unfortunately most of it gets eaten.

When there are plenty of large cod in the population, they eat enough of the things that eat cod fry to give their own fry a good chance.

But when the cod fry gets eaten, and and cannot themselves grow into big predators, those things that eat cod fry thrive, and the cod have a difficult time of getting back on top of things.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Unfortunately pipefish don't have the same nutrient quality and oil as what the cod should be eating. Many birds that ordinarily rely on sandeel have turned to feeding their young pipefish, and they haven't done too well at all on the diet.

Cod may be able to produce a lot of fry, but unfortunately most of it gets eaten.

When there are plenty of large cod in the population, they eat enough of the things that eat cod fry to give their own fry a good chance.

But when the cod fry gets eaten, and and cannot themselves grow into big predators, those things that eat cod fry thrive, and the cod have a difficult time of getting back on top of things.

I read that about birds Leon I dint realise it was about cod too ?. Do you have a link to research about the dietry needs of the cod ? The fish I caught had been eating pipefish and in no way looked mal nourished, but I keep finding them with pipefish hanging out their mouths ? either their gorging on them or they have trouble digesting them ?.