Is the Southern Colony Sustainable?

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about the weather my friend in Missouri is experiencing. They are without power and the local utility company has indicated people could be without power for 8 to 10 days AND it's well below freezing outside.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/worst-da...90206-7zf1.html

Fingers crossed that it cools down soon.

'Worst day in history': Brumby warns of fire danger

Marc Moncrief

February 6, 2009 - 12:02PM

Victorians should cancel whatever plans they may have had for tomorrow and take whatever steps necessary to prepare for what Premier John Brumby is calling the "worst day in the history of the state".

- 'Worst day in state's history'

- Stay at home, people told

- Extreme weather forecast

With temperatures set to soar to the mid-40s throughout Victoria, Mr Brumby said the conditions were worse than those that preceded the devastating bushfires of Ash Wednesday or Black Friday.

"It's just as bad a day as you can imagine and on top of that the state is just tinder-dry. People need to exercise real common sense tomorrow," he said.

"If you don't need to go out, don't go out, it's a seriously bad day.

"If you don't need to travel, don't travel.

"Don't go on the roads. If you don't need to use the public transport system, don't use it.

"If you can stay at home, stay at home.

"If you've got relatives who are elderly, if you've got friends, if you've got neighbours, please call on them.

"Ring them ... it's going to be a terrible day for anyone who is ill or who is old.

Mr Brumby said he expected Melbourne to reach 43 or 44 degrees with similar temperatures throughout the state, reaching as high as 46 in Mildura.

He said if anything, the expectation was for the day to be even hotter rather than cooler.

He recalled scenes last week of wooden power poles self-igniting.

"I can't stress this enough, I know that the chief fire officer has been out and he said it will be as bad as you can get and he's not exaggerating," Mr Brumby said.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

6.43pm and its still 38 degrees ---forecast 34 tomorrow the Sunday a cool change 24, looking forwards to that.

Last weekend the government sent text messages to all the oldies telling them to ring 000 if they were not feeling the best.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

• 2 weeks later...
"We are in the build-up to the next El Nino and already the drought is as bad as it has ever been — in terms of the drought, this may be as good as things get," Dr Jones said.

"And the repeated, severe bushfire seasons we have been seeing are a direct result of this very severe, protracted drought."

http://www.theage.com.au/national/drought-...90216-899u.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• 4 months later...