A Sigh of Relief on MPAs?

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there a link to the leaked document anywhere? I've read the BBC and Telegraph reports, but there is such a l;ck of detail that what may or may not happen can only be guessed at. All I saw was that the marine bill won't be going in the Queen's speech.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Is there a link to the leaked document anywhere? I've read the BBC and Telegraph reports, but there is such a l;ck of detail that what may or may not happen can only be guessed at. All I saw was that the marine bill won't be going in the Queen's speech.

Hello Steve

There is talk of making the wind farm sites protected marine areas, I doubt anglers will be allowed to fish in the sites, whats the difference between anchoring a angling boat to anchoring a gill net or a long line, could still foul and damage one of thier cables.

That will exclude anglers from a lot of the best summer tope fishing spots in the Thames area.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I still can't find any the bit where it says anglers will be allowed to fish in MPA's. Here's the SCAN report;

In many parts of the world, environmentalists have insisted that Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) should be total No Take Zones (NTZs), and anglers have been unnecessarily banned from once popular areas on dogmatic grounds, rather than because of any potential significant impact on the environmental objectives of protected areas.

In the UK, Recreational Sea Angling camapaigners have argued that, although in some circumstances angling activity might have to be excluded or subject to some restrictions, only activities that are likely to significantly affect the attainment of the overall objectives of a particular protected area should be considered for exclusion.

So, it might be that bottom fishing is banned because of likely damage to seabed communities of plants and animals, whilst mid-water fishing is allowed to continue.

Or fishing during a particular time of the year is excluded owing to the presence of spawning or feeding fish populations that are subject to recovery etc.

It would seem that such representations have been listened to and that the UK government will take a more pragmatic approach to Marine Protected areas within the UK.

I've read the BBC and Telegraph reports too, and it doesn't mention anglers being allowed to fish in MPA's in either of them, never mind that sea angling campaigners have won us that right. So have I missed something or what?

Please don't tell me that RSA organisations have resorted to using new labour style spin.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

Don't drink and drive.

hello Jim

But will they stay buried? the grounds are constantly on the move, especially around sand banks

Simple answer "YES" they have to to comply with regulations and they use various methods according to terrain that is what makes off shore wind farm so expensive to install.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Would it be ok if the spin was not aimed at anglers but the Gov? :)

Is it being aimed at the government? I would have thought that anything posted on a sea angling forum would be aimed at sea anglers???? :blink:

Personally, I don't like any twisting of facts to suit various arguments. I'd rather read it how it really is than try to decipher riddles and code.

Don't drink and drive.