Carp Journals

Elton

I realise that carp fishing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I do think that the following article deserves a few minutes of your time....

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Carp-Fishing-A...s_Part_Two.html

:)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

A good read as ever but the one thing that amazed me beyond everything else was that Julian actually SMILED on a photo. :headhurt:

That made a nice change...........he normally looks as though he`d rather be somewhere else.

Keep `em coming Julian but hows about a few more photos that reflect the happiness you freely write about when a biggie hits the net.

wolf.gif

Hi SW,

Thanks for the kind words about the article. In relation to the images, we’ve been here before.

My primary concern when taking a photo is the welfare of the fish. As such, nine times out of ten, my mind is concentrating on just that, rather than worrying about wearing a cheesy grin. I’ve seen too many fish damaged on the bank by those who are more concerned with the outcome of the picture than what’s actually happening with the fish.

As I mostly fish on my own, the vast majority of my images are self-portraits, where it is of even greater importance to do the job quickly and safely, and if the result is that I’m not wearing a smile when the shutter closes, then so be it – I can live with that. I’m not going to sit there rattling off tons of photos just to get one with a happy face. The shot of the 33lb carp slapping my face shows just how much power a big fish can have, even when fully cradled on the mat, and having witnessed some terrible scenes in the past, I feel it’s all too easy to take your eye of the ball.

On the rare occasion that somebody else is behind the lens, and the fish behaves, you’ll often see me with a smile on my face, after all, I’m never happier than when I’ve got a fish on the bank, but I don’t look to sort my images on the basis of whether I’m smiling or not, I select images to accompany my work that I feel show the fish to their fullest, because as far as the image is concerned, I feel it’s the fish that’s important, not me.

As a writer, I would hope my words express my thoughts, rather than relying solely on an image, which after all, can only ever convey a split-second in time. However, if I think on, and I’m able, next time I have a kipper on the bank I’ll wear a big smile and a party hat just for you. :sun:

Tight Lines…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Smiling and self portraits rarely go hand in hand!

I once remember Mick Rouse saying about how much better a trophy shot looks if the angler is smilling.He is right but 9 times out of 10 the guy taking the shot needs to remind the angler! As Jules says its quite a stressfull moment for both fish and captor!

Most of my PB shots I look extremely strange! must be a combination of stress and ungodly time of night!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I will vouch that Julian was happy at the time! That said, he only really let his emotions out once the fish were returned. Seeing his face after catching his first ever UK 30 is a memory that will stick with me for years to come. :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE