An Alternative to Bag Limits?

Leon Roskilly

I understand the fact that its the boat that is lisenced not the person, thats why I said:If bag limits were to be bought in, could a angler wishing to keep mopre than the bag limit every now and then not just regester as a commercial fisherman and if he had a boat then lisence it?

A lisence for my small 17 foot dory could be purchased from a fisherman on the open market. It would have to hold enough points for my boats length and horse power. Probably costing me a one of purchase of around 2500 pounds. But then I wouldnt have to obide by bag limits,

THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM THE FUZZY WUZZIES, THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the Marine Bill is back on the back-burner, yet DEFRA are attempting to push bag limits in by the back door, I expect that we'll see bag limits long before a licence is imposed :(

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po...or_Anglers.html

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po...ll_Delayed.html

How many have written to Bradshaw, DEFRA Coastal Waters Policy Branch, their MP and their local SFC about DEFRA's attempt to persuade SFCs to bring in bag limits on bass?

Unless sea anglers start making a lot of noise, (and now's the time to do it), we WILL end up with licences and bag limits, probably no take zones and compulsory catch and release too. The commercials are taking the **** out of us and DEFRA are giving them a helping hand. It's time we all got angry.

Paul Gilson has tried to take the **** out of Kent and Essex sea anglers recently, and has disturbed a hornets nest in doing so. Tomorrows Kent and essex SFC meeting should be very "interesting", to say the least.

Write to your MP and tell him you want Ben Bradshaw made aware that DEFRA and SFC's are proposing to impose bag limits on anglers through the back door, and you are not happy. Ask for the reply your MP gets from Bradshaw. Better still, make an appointment and go to see your MP in person. Then, when your local SFC gets to vote on bag limits, make sure you and all your mates go along to the meeting and kick up a storm.

Bag limits on sea anglers while comercial fishing carries on unrestricted is a complete nonsense. Fight it!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Well said Steve.

Wurzel I understand that you have to jump through many hoops already. Those hoops are going to get smaller and higher. Its a case of having to go that way or ALL of you will of hit the wall before 2040.

Well said Steve.

Wurzel I understand that you have to jump through many hoops already. Those hoops are going to get smaller and higher. Its a case of having to go that way or ALL of you will of hit the wall before 2040.

I would like to be able to hit any thing in 2040!

I fish to live and live to fish.

Unless sea anglers start making a lot of noise, (and now's the time to do it), we WILL end up with licences and bag limits, probably no take zones and compulsory catch and release too. .................................................

Write to your MP and tell him you want Ben Bradshaw made aware that DEFRA and SFC's are proposing to impose bag limits on anglers through the back door, and you are not happy. Ask for the reply your MP gets from Bradshaw.

I was under the impression that it is the RSA reps that most want licenses and bag limits for sea anglers!

Perhaps they should come on here and deny it!

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Personly as repeated many times on here not just by myself but a few others to, bag limits NTZ,s and lisences might be excepted if the commercial effort was restricted, ie, golden mile, propper MLS for most fish. and so on.

I was under the impression that it is the RSA reps that most want licenses and bag limits for sea anglers!

Perhaps they should come on here and deny it!

Where the heck did you get that totally erroneous impression?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Is that a denial?

Hi Jim

Here is my reply to a similar question (nearly wrote 'allegation' then) in the Licences, bag limits, MPAs thread

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=68434

My first encounter with fisheries managers was at Whitehall in 2000.

The venue was the 'old' MAFF building - Nobel House.

It's since had a multi- million pound face-lift and you wouldn't recognise the place now. (nice to know where the budget goes isn't it).

This was an annual meeting between civil servants and RSA (NFSA, Professional boatman's assoc, Cornish FSA, Bob Cox from the angling press and myself from BASS). We even managed to get someone very minor from Dept of Culture, Media and Sport along (it was news to her that angling was a sport)

We had 3 hours to discuss various topics, but firmly on MAFF's agenda was the topic of bag limits and licences. When I say it was on their agenda - it was on the formal, written agenda of the meeting. I believe that this was the third time this had been muted and no progress had been made

In a nutshell - RSA refused to even discuss bag limits on the grounds that MAFF were clearly the sponsors of commercial fishing (their words) and that this was an attempt to control sea angling by limiting angler catches, which were seen to be threatening the livelihoods of the commercial sector.

From this, I would suggest that licences and bag limits have been on the cards for some 8 years now and without some kind of representation (elected or unelected) to oppose these measures, we may have had them forced upon us a long time ago.

WRT a change of direction - some would argue that we have opened a pandora's box of anti-angling legislation, but as someone who has been involved as an elected representive of BASS for 12 years, I can honestly say that it was coming anyway.

Yes - we have reacted to change as best we know how and initiated some radical concepts to protect our sport. Those that I have come into contact with are not crusaders, just for the sake of it - they do care about the sport and its continued survival.

As you rightly say - time to asses the situation and to listen to those who do wish to be represented.

How we collect and assimilate these views, towards a common set of goals, is the difficulty.

................................................................................

I recall that in the same thread, Leon and others who have met with DEFRA and SFCs all stated unequivically, that they and the groups they represent have declared that would never sanction licences and / or bag limits, without the foundations being laid for stock recovery of species of importance to RSA and this would need to include the capping of commercial effort, increased MLSs and closed seasons on certain species.

I would imagine that Leon et al are getting fed up defending the same old accusations....and what's the point, when there are those who simply won't believe us?

Hope this clarifies things in your mind Jim

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steve pitts