Finding the depth

kelvindavies11

Any advise on how to find the deepth of the water and on finding where the fish are feeding in relation to depth.

I usually set my float up and then add a ssg weight to the hook, continuelly adjusting the depth until the float sits right. The problem I find with this method is that if you don't hit the same spot every time the float may be overdepth or under depth etc.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thank you,

Kelvin

Better to use a plumb weight.

But what you really need to do is to explore the whole area within casting distance, noting where it's deeper and shallower, and getting some idea of the features of the water in front of you.

(You can also find where it's soft, hard, gravel or weed from the feel of it).

It's useful to sketch out the area on a piece of paper, noting down the depth at each point that you plumb, and that way you soon get a better picture of the shape and content of the bottom.

One way I like to do it is instead of using a float, use a pike spoon, counting down and noting down the count.

You might also get the odd take as well, as the spoon flutters down, or on the retrieve.

Where the fish are feeding can be dependent on many factors.

In cold weather they are likely to be feeding down where there is a deep hole or depression, otherwise they may be feeding on the top of a bar.

In a river, a favourite place is if you find a 'shelf', perhaps an ancient riverbank, now drowned by increased depth to make the river navigable etc.

Fish can often be encountered patrolling along the bottom of such drop-offs.

So, no hard and fast rules for all circumstaces, but it helps knowing exactly what the bottom looks like in front of you, and experience will teach you which features to fish and when.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I used to do the same in still waters Kelvin but its a lot easier with a heavier plummet.Everything is more positive so it takes less time.Also other than some pole fishing situations (then you can plumb up perfect every time so it doesnt matter!) I tend to have a few inchs of line on the bottom when fishing still water so the slight variations in depth dont make that much difference.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!