chub on a fly

fishfinder

Those flies look great Andy. Have you used them before?

Caught a small chub on the River Hodder this time last year with a blue bottle. I was fishing during a dry spell and caught it under overhanging bushes on the far bank on a 7# fly rod. Was staying at the pub in Whitewell at the time. Many unsuccessful attempts on the River Waveney but hey ho.

Your chub looks a good livebait size for some of the pike we've got down here on the Broad's (is that legal?) ....

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really surprised no one else picked you up on that point Clive, and if you had read my final comment you would have realised it wasn't a personal dig at you, just an observation so please don't start flaming.

I did, unless my post is invisible. This subject has been discussed many times before on here. For example in this thread. At the end of the day it is irresponsible not to handle fish we plan to return as carefully as possible. I think we have concluded that fish don't feel pain, but there is still no need to risk damaging them more than is necessary to catch them.

If you don't have a mat, you can always move further away and use grass, assuming there is some. One poster even suggested bubble wrap is suitable a while back.

Fly fishing for chub is great fun, and sometimes infuriating - more so than fly fishing for trout! I've only ever caught one decent chub on a fly, and that was a leaded hare's ear fished in a deep pool. The rest have mostly been little 'uns on various dries. A Hawthorn was always a successful pattern for me - they seem to like the dangly legs :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Let's get this straight. I ain't using an unhooking mat and I ain't taking bubble wrap fishing. I have fished since 1968 and I have never seen an angler use an unhooking mat. If they become a legal necessity then fine, I'll use one. Until then it is a matter of choice. You choose your way and I'll choose mine. If using an unhooking mat really really makes you feel better then I think you ought to give up angling altogether.

For the record I am a roving angler. I don't sit in one peg with a barrow load of unnecessary tackle scattered around me just in case I might need it. I don't use a keepnet and the place where I caught that chub has no suitable grassy area or weedbed to lay the fish on. My camera is attached to a lanyard around my neck and on this occassion the fish was taken from the net, put on the ground, photographed and back in the water in a matter of seconds. End of story.

Here's another caught in more favourable (for the bleeding heart liberals, not the angler) conditions. This one was charging about just under the surface and took a CDC & Elk Hair dry fly. It weeded me within seconds and I had to wade right across the river and land it where it had come tethered.

If you are intending targetting chub on the fly at this time of year it is best going on warm days when flies are hatching and looking for rises. These will usually be under or near to trees. Also try egg flies as trout are spawning right now and the other fish are partial to the eggs that get washed away.

post-5970-1164185487_thumb.jpg

Regards, Clive

I am absolutely incensed about this comment...

Thank you for your advice. I'll use rubber hooks as well if that makes you feel better. In fact, tell you what. I'll strike before the fish takes the fly and then there will be no need for any bleeding heart liberal comments at all.

I feel so outraged about this that I am compelled to post a response, despite being aware it is none of my business and that it is most unlikely to help matters.

Nicepix, the fact that you did not take appropriate care of the chub you caught and photographed is despicable enough. Chub are my favorite fish, and I simply hate to think of such a lovely specimen being harmed in any way. But to take such a stupid attitide to the careful and tactful suggestion of James P, that you might consider the welfare of such fish in future, is downright contemptible.

I wonder how photogenic that chub will be now, if seen from the other side!

Let me ask you this: why did you take the photo anyway? I presume it was because you appreciate the aesthetic beauty of such a creature, and wanted a souvenir of the experience (rather than merely to have a trophy for showing off). If so, why on earth would you risk damaging the said aesthetic beauty of the fish, and worse- risk its survival? It doesn't make sense!

Your attitude towards James P is astonishingly ignorant, and does nothing to refute the claims of the anti-fishing brigade. This forum is clearly used by those who respect fish and love their sport. Your attitude will find no welcome here.

Nicepix, maybe. Shame about your stupidity.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

I'm a bleeding heart liberal and I don't take an unhooking mat with me when I'm travelling light...

...aaaargh! Existential crisis!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The photograph is a record shot to show the size of chub that can be taken from the most unlikely places. Nothing more, nothing less.

Putting a fish on the bank for a few seconds is so wrong? What about keepnets? What about weighing them? How long does it take to weigh and photograph a fish being held by the captor? What about matchmen weighing their catch? That chub was out of the net, photographed and back in the water in less than ten seconds.

I would never put a fish in a keepnet. But I won't try to tell you not to.

If you care so much for chub then don't fish for them.

Edited by Nicepix

Regards, Clive

Putting a fish on the bank for a few seconds is so wrong? What about keepnets? What about weighing them? How long does it take to weigh and photograph a fish being held by the captor? What about matchmen weighing their catch? That chub was out of the net, photographed and back in the water in less than ten seconds.

Four wrongs don't make a right.

Keepnets, weighing fish, etc., are not the subject of my criticism of your attitude. Their wrong does not make yours any less. You do not get off the hook (no pun intended) by suggesting there are other wrongs than yours.

As a matter of fact, I never weigh fish, never photograph them, and never, ever use keepnets. So don't try to compete with my self-righteousness.

I care greatly for chub, and fish for them in the most caring way possible. In fact, I hardly ever catch them anyway!

Judging by your own comments, I reckon I can look right down on you from my fabulous high horse.

So, bite me.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.