Cod were never common?

ColinW

There is some interesting reading on this site, which is copied from the 1911 Encyclopaedia Brittanica

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org

which seems to disagree with the often stated view that the "high" cod numbers some of us remember from thirty years ago were just a freak occurence and that the present scarcity is more normal.

For example

As an article of food the cod-fish is in greatest perfection during the three months preceding Christmas. It is caught on all parts of the British and Irish coasts, but the Dogger Bank, and Rockall, off the Outer Hebrides, have been specially noted for their codfisheries. The fishery is also carried on along the coast of Norfolk and Suffolk, where great quantities of the fish are caught with hook and line, and conveyed to market alive in "well-boats" specially built for this traffic. Such boats have been in use since the beginning of the 18th century. The most important codfishery in the world is that which has been prosecuted for centuries on the Newfoundland banks, where it is not uncommon for a single fisherman to take over 500 of these fish in ten or eleven hours. These, salted and dried, are exported to all parts of the world, and form, when taken in connexion with the enormous quantity of fresh cod consumed, a valuable addition to the food resources of the human race.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is colin i have seen photos from the late 1800ss and the early 1900ss with fishermen carry big cod up the scaurs which they had caught with there longlines try that now and you wouldnt have a hope.

Hi big cod can you get hold of those pictures and stick them on here for wurzel to see, as he thinks that cod were only common from the sixties.............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

The pics are possibly the ones by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe. I don't think they exist on the net but if anyone has any I can scan in I would gladly do it.

My friends Dad used to tell us the story of how they used to catch big cod from the east pier at Whitby during the war years using nothing more than lines baited with rotting limpets. He said the fish they used to catch were big double figure cod - try that one now.

I've heard this story of the gadoid outburst before and I understand scientists do believe it to have a hint of truth. The number of cod around in the 70's possibly was an extreme high but that does not mean the normal levels are what we are experiencing now - far from it.

Id be interested to read the opinion of a respected fisheries scientist to see just what numbers of cod they think should be swimming in the north sea.

Edited by glennk

The pics are possibly the ones by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe. I don't think they exist on the net but if anyone has any I can scan in I would gladly do it.

My friends Dad used to tell us the story of how they used to catch big cod from the east pier at Whitby during the war years using nothing more than lines baited with rotting limpets. He said the fish they used to catch were big double figure cod - try that one now.

I've heard this story of the gadoid outburst before and I understand scientists do believe it to have a hint of truth. The number of cod around in the 70's possibly was an extreme high but that does not mean the normal levels are what we are experiencing now - far from it.

Id be interested to read the opinion of a respected fisheries scientist to see just what numbers of cod they think should be swimming in the north sea.

Yes glennk they are frank sutcliffs photographs but when you talk to old school they can relate back to the thirties and the forties and it was teeming with big cod hand lines is what they used probably wiht crap bait on but it didnt matter in them days as there were great numbers of fish there most of the time anyway they will take anything even rotten mussels. :yucky:

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Very frustrating!

I recently cam across an old picture of 2 children between 2 massive cod, towering above them, probably in the region of 80lb.

It crossed my mind that I should save it, but I was busy with a load of other stuff and thought that I could find my way back to it - I can't :(

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Very frustrating!

I recently cam across an old picture of 2 children between 2 massive cod, towering above them, probably in the region of 80lb.

It crossed my mind that I should save it, but I was busy with a load of other stuff and thought that I could find my way back to it - I can't :(

Think Man Think!!!! leon i presume it was on the internet you came across it?

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Been looking through the sutcliffe gallery pics but cant find the pics Paul means although I do know which ones he's talking about. They are on the wall of one of the pubs in town.

I did manage to find this picture of Paul and Malcolm Pitman working on the very first Sea otter with the lovely Mrs K bringing the lads a tray of sandwiches balanced on her head.

1132783724.jpg

Edited by glennk