Carp Off The Top

Elton

I always try to get the fish competing for the freebies.Presenting your hook bait to soon is the most common fault I see.Ref the line floating,it is essential that the mainline floats andd most of the hook length but I am convinced that (especially on bright days when 90% of my floater fishing is done)the last few inches should be sunk in or in the surface film at least.This avoids a problem faced by dry fly fishermen known as FNS (floating nylon syndrome)FNS is caused by the line on the surface throwing a shadow which spooks the fish resulting in a last minute turn away.

I dont agree that the hook bait needs to be/react exactly the same as the freebies.For many years I have always used 2 side hooked mixers as the hook bait.More recently I have been using artificial mixers on the hook.But then as I have said I believe in getting them really going first.Incidently I use this aproach on some difficult waters.

The only problem I have ever come across regularly is "spit outs" these can be overcome by mounting your mixer(s) on a short length of rigid tube,this is slide on the hook length before the hook (a small but heavy pattern is best) is tied on with a grinner knot,the tube is slide down towards the hook knot and pushed just over the tag end (which keeps it in place).When a carp takes the bait and trys to spit it out the bait will shoot up the line but the hook stay(usualy pricked if sharpened right)in the mouth.

Oh, I forgot to mention I always use mono hook lengths,quite often fluro carbon or "Double Strength".

[ 02. August 2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I like the 'tube fly' idea Budgie!

With most 'spit outs' I just leave the bait & mr slurpy may return many times to 'sample' before hitting hard - I sometimes think they know the hook is there they give it such a smash! (of course they seem to hit the freebies hard as well).

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

budgie

floating braid is supposedly really good for floater fishing,easier to mend the line,no-stretch on strike,floats continously,altho it is abit visable(you think they would spook off it?).bird life seem to be able to pick it out and avoid it easier than mono too,found that whilst pikeing with drifters,that must be a bonus when fishing floaters!

had a lot fish that seem to roll over the hook bait not slurping at it,very strange,altho these carp get bashed abit off the surface.

[ 02. August 2004, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

For me braid was the biggest advance in floater fishing there has ever been.Never had a problem with it spooking fish,my mono leaders are no more than 5 foot long.

It is very common on hard fished waters for carp to try and drown floating baits before taking them.In the old days two hook rigs with one being baited with crust and another with flake then squeezed together were used.The carp rolling on the floating crust would dislodge the paste which would then sink and be taken.Not used it myself but my modern version is to use a good size lump of paste with as many floating pellets pushed into it as possible on just one hook.If you are lucky and have the fish feeding well the pellets will keep the paste/hook afloat long enough untill a fish trys to drown it and dislodges the paste from the pellets.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i see,so a long hooklength is the anwser(mono of course),i will try braid next time then,i thougt about it but wasnt to sure.

so thats what they are doing there drowning it!i have had few hooked at the tail end of there bodys too like this,this explains it.nice one for the tip too.

AKA RATTY

Tail hooked carp put up one hell of a fight!

As mentioned they do 'swamp' the bait several times and the most common misstake I see is anglers whipping the bait from the fishes mouth.

Leave it & watch the line, only when you see it slide away tighten to the fish, if you don't hook it leave it again and you will get another offer.

It is true 'heart in the mouth' stuff.

But be warned - if you look away the fish will hit with a vengence! & you'l only realise when the rod is whipped from your hand!

Tight lines all - I'm off a 'floatering' again this eve.(must make up some of Budgies tube flys).

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

i know!!i always watch the line,caught many fish this way,not just floaters either.sometimes the lines shoots across the surface even when they are just rolling on it.had the rod whip round when not looking too,scary!

AKA RATTY

Pangolin:

My last three carp have all been surface-caught, on bread fished directly under the rod-tip. I've been freelining cubes of bread, lowering them onto the surface by backwinding the reel..........

That is what I did asswell with my mate and he caught a 12 pounder Carp which a decent size for the pond we were fishing.

A good fish is not necessarily a big fish. What makes a good fish, is something well proportioned and healthy looking.

HTTP://WWW.MAD-FOR-FISHING.TK