Petition the PM, on-line in 2 mins, to save the fish stocks

fishyrob

I think it could be a combination of things but less effort could be the major factor but what ever it is it is good news for all.

All less effort does is allows those still fishing a bigger share, the same amount of fish would still have been there.

It is good news and things are looking up for the cod fishers of Whitby, until some bright spark decides it's time to follow ICES advice to the letter.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wurze my friend.

I am not trying to put you out of business. How many times do I have to say that? I am trying to encourage people to think that if we do not do something more than we are doing at the moment, you won't have a business, nor will all the RSA supporting businesses.

Kind regards

Trubshaw

Hello Trubshaw

How many times do I have to say? It's not necessary!

er, I don't think that it's the number of times that you need to say it that's the problem Wurzel.

It is not the number of times, it is what a large section of the scientific community are saying

Out of many things I enjoy in life, those that start with an F tend to feature the most.

Plea to save our fish. Please visit http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Seafishstocks/ and sign it if you agree.

The one on the right is Trubshaw, the one on the left is Teal.

Guest challenge

fishings fine.

But there are already very strong limitations on cod among the commercial sector.

And more on there way.

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.p...s_industry.html

surely we should applaud the agreement met, rather than criticise that they have not agreed to what the scientist where asking, which was zero take of cod, which would of meant no cod to be caught at all. Bye anybody.

surely after the near disaster that Danish scientists caused to the sand ell situation in the north sea this year, it would perhaps not be beneficial to anybody to presume that what they say (regardless to who is paying them) should be cast in stone.

Not very scientific wurzel but very much emotional. Amount of fish caught is of less importance than is the amount of dead fish. Catches by one vessel (yours) compared to what one angler or one charter boat can catch one day are useless indicators in this respect. Which sector -commercial, recreational anglers, others- causes how much cod mortality? No good figures are available on the two last mentioned sectors. We have some catching figures from the commercial sector but we don't know for real how much is discarded not to mention black landings. When the mortality figures are known for the three sectors then we should look into the socio-economics of things. If one kg cod caught by a commercial generates an input to the society of say 15 £ but 300 £ if recreational caught then you have the clear and logic answer in the case a cod stock is overfished why to stop you before putting any limitations on anglers. Big cod is an economic plus factor for the recreational sector, which is not thought of in the commercial fisheries management schemes, which just adds to the already strong case to put limits on the commercial fishing for cod before or instead of aiming at the recreational angling sector.

The value issue is a totally different basket of vipers all together, nothing to do with this thread.

I am not comparing just my boats catches, but catches of the N.East charter fleet to the under 10 meter commercial fleet.

The anglers that started this thread are saying the government should heed ICES advice, Zero catch of cod, also shut down most of the north sea to all commercial fishing.

Are you saying anglers should be exempt? if commercial fisher men were stopped, how do you think they would feel if they had to watch anglers unload 2,3 or 4 boxes of prime cod a day from local charter boats?

If it were you, would you just stand by and say nothing?

NASCO throws Lifeline to Western Atlantic Salmon!

Jun 14,2006 by Elton Murphy

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/NASCO_lif...tic_salmon.html

Salmon & Trout Association - Fighting for the future of game angling

NEWS RELEASE

This is the reason I am campaigning. Salmon are recovering, despite the fact that they are as much affected by global warming as the rest of the sea-fish stocks.

This has happend because of two reasons:

1. Recreational Anglers have banded together with one voice. They have campaigned for this for 20+ years.

2. The fact remains that pursuing an ever decreasing stock of fish until it no longer exists, by this I mean everything from the sea bed upwards, so it includes, bait fish, coral, plankton etc, disrupts the food chain and causes a collapse in stocks.

3. There has been a 50 year programme of unaldulterated mis-management of fish stocks. If there had been there their would be no need for my petition.

Apologies to Wurzel, I am not gettting at him here, trying to preserve and ensure his way of life in the future.

Out of many things I enjoy in life, those that start with an F tend to feature the most.

Plea to save our fish. Please visit http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Seafishstocks/ and sign it if you agree.

The one on the right is Trubshaw, the one on the left is Teal.

NEWS RELEASE

This is the reason I am campaigning. Salmon are recovering, despite the fact that they are as much affected by global warming as the rest of the sea-fish stocks.

1. Recreational Anglers have banded together with one voice. They have campaigned for this for 20+ years.

2. The fact remains that pursuing an ever decreasing stock of fish until it no longer exists, by this I mean everything from the sea bed upwards, so it includes, bait fish, coral, plankton etc, disrupts the food chain and causes a collapse in stocks.

3. There has been a 50 year programme of unaldulterated mis-management of fish stocks. If there had been there their would be no need for my petition.

Apologies to Wurzel, I am not gettting at him here, trying to preserve and ensure his way of life in the future.

For a start cod ain't salmon.

Are you trying to preserve my way of life? what! the same way that the way of life of the salmon drift netters was preserved!!!?

Why don't you answer the questions in my last post?

after 50 years of unaldulterated mis-management of fish stock name one stock in the UK waters that have collapsed?

NEWS RELEASE

Correct me if i'm wrong. My interpertation of this : which is right, the sub title states that the stock is recovering, next they remove a sector of fishermen from the equasion.

They take away the living and fishing rights of commercial and pass it on to the elite few who can afford to dress up in all the tweed with the hats as well. don't know what the future cost would be but i know it would be outside of my range. You can't tell me Henry that these netsmen where responsible for number 2 in your post. If netsmen are wrong your just as bad as you have jumped on the emotional band wagon instead of doing what is right and change the mismanagement. Your just like Mr Livingstone then Henry, price the normal people out of an area to be used by the few. It appears Henry you don't want to fix something but you want it all at the cost of someone else.

regards barry rsa angler.

p.s. the commercial fish would have been sold to the public in general, so now the salmon will go to the hooray Henry's (excuse the pun).

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

after 50 years of unaldulterated mis-management of fish stock name one stock in the UK waters that have collapsed?

I know a man whose great-grandfather was a sturgeon fisherman on the Medway, I remember a few being caught when I was a youngster, but they don't seem to be around much these days (though Germany is attempting to re-introduce them - fingers crossed).

Common skate don't seem to be so common these days.

And the shad, once a significant fishery is but a distant memory.

And some of the Recreational Sea Fisheries like cod from Southern beaches, plaice and flounder, are a shadow of what they were a few years ago.

Perhaps it's global warming Wurzel ?

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust