Petition the PM, on-line in 2 mins, to save the fish stocks

fishyrob

What do you make of the modern arguments over whaling Seaside?

The Norwegians, Japanese and Icelanders point to healthy stocks which they believe they should be allowed to hunt. I recoil a fair bit, as of i'm of that age group that were brought up on Greenpeace etc; like it was Blue Peter :) . On the one hand I find whaling distasteful; on the other hand I find it hard to see a rational reason to oppose those cultures that wish to do it .

Just wondered how you see it?

Chris

Chris - personally and maybe even irrationally, I find it distasteful.

But, as with any other renewable resource, as long as it's not exploited in an unsustainable manner, or in a way that drastically impacts some other community, then, like yourself, I really can't see a justifiable reason to oppose it.

What really pees me is the hypocrisy around whaling (and many other stocks for that matter) - for donkeys years several countries have taken whales for 'research' purposes, everyone knows this is BS, the UK Government, along with many others, do a Nelson on it until some countries decide to 'legitimise' their activities - then it's all shock horror.

As in many other areas, the Government lack the balls to enforce their position / legislation and rely on popularist indignation and sound bite media management instead.

I guess my biggest reservation would be the lack of transparency regarding stock levels ( equally true for most fisheries ), because without all the necessary checks and balances I don't think it would take too long for the stocks to go into freefall again - it's happened with every other depleted fishery that's shown any sign of recovery.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Seaside

I don't think it would take too long for the stocks to go into freefall again - it's happened with every other depleted fishery that's shown any sign of recovery.

Could you give us an example please.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Having attained scientific advice, concluded talks with Norway, the EU has announced it's proposals for 'Fishing Opportunities' in 2007.

See: http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressReleasesAc...;guiLanguage=en

As in previous years, the serious horse trading now gets under way following a familiar pattern whereby fishstocks are allowed to continue to suffer, and an industry squeals because of the hardships being imposed.

Organisations concerned for the health of our Marine Resources wonder why clear scientific advice is being ignored, and communities and businesses dependent on extracting and processing fish question the advice, point to other reasons why fish stocks are declining, maintain that some stocks tell a different story, and plea for their future, as they depend on what can be taken today.

What's your view Wurz?

Out of many things I enjoy in life, those that start with an F tend to feature the most.

Plea to save our fish. Please visit http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Seafishstocks/ and sign it if you agree.

The one on the right is Trubshaw, the one on the left is Teal.

Having attained scientific advice, concluded talks with Norway, the EU has announced it's proposals for 'Fishing Opportunities' in 2007.

As in previous years, the serious horse trading now gets under way following a familiar pattern whereby fishstocks are allowed to continue to suffer, and an industry squeals because of the hardships being imposed.

Organisations concerned for the health of our Marine Resources wonder why clear scientific advice is being ignored, and communities and businesses dependent on extracting and processing fish question the advice, point to other reasons why fish stocks are declining, maintain that some stocks tell a different story, and plea for their future, as they depend on what can be taken today.

What's your view Wurz?

Hi Henry, Wurzels avin is tea, so perhaps you can reply to post number 198 before you put your hoof in it with wurzel. cheers.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

That was a bit of a sit on the fence answer Henry. If you did condone the way some of the french conduct themselves while protesting it would do your petition most harm. People are quick to forget anarchcist examples of their behavoiur, i.e. the south east motor way was turned into a lorry park again last week because of one french cleaner apparently. Disblo.......gusting. Did you agree with their actions Henry. Happens quite a lot as the uk is considering building permanant lorry parks . If not, why did you feel the need to bring the french into the argument then Henry.

cheers barry :sun:

From memory it was something to do with the fact that you suggested we should be lobbying the EU not the UK Government. I pointed out that in my opinion it was a waste of time and that if we could get our government to listen to us, rather than ignore us as it does at the moment, and be aware that if it did not bang the table at the EU more for us than it does, it will be voted out of power. Not that I am agin the idea of them being kicked out. That of course would become a subject of another thread and I don't want to go trawling in that area of sea at the moment :lol:

The point is that the French are very wary of their electorate and their electorate are far more active, and I not mean the lunatic fringe, than our own, hence why the French get away with far more than we do.

I hope that has answered the question.

H

Edited by Trubshaw

Out of many things I enjoy in life, those that start with an F tend to feature the most.

Plea to save our fish. Please visit http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Seafishstocks/ and sign it if you agree.

From memory it was something to do with the fact that you suggested we should be lobbying the EU not the UK Government. I pointed out that in my opinion it was a waste of time and that if we could get our government to listen to us, rather than ignore us as it does at the moment, and be aware that if it did not bang the table at the EU more for us than it does, it will be voted out of power. Not that I am agin the idea of them being kicked out. That of course would become a subject of another thread and I don't want to go trawling in that area of sea at the moment :lol:

The point is that the French are very wary of their electorate and their electorate are far more active, and I not mean the lunatic fringe, than our own, hence why the French get away with far more than we do.

I hope that has answered the question.

H

Hi Henry, this is where we differ mate. Your first para. i don't suggest, i state that the eu needs lobbying if you feel the need as they DO control the seas around us and not the lakys the uk goverment, also posted previously. So your petition will only be getting there by second class mail and that could take along time. At the end of the day, when your 1000 signiture pet reaches Gorden, he will then ask ben what to do about it, he will say it's allright Gorden, my ten millon pound just for fisheries alone department is on top of it, we have the top eu scientists dealing with this etc, etc and around we go again. What a waste of time, effort and money.

The only thing active in france is the unions, you know the blockaders united. They are the ones not getting away with it but are controlling the goverment. I am aware that the french goverment has been and still is being find by the eu for illegal fishing practices by their own fleet. This is still on going apparently, unless someone tells me differant. Then its as you say the farmers etc who have blockked for many years the legal importation by our farmers of clean beef to their country. The list goes on Henry, it is only their radical fringe department who are again working the lilly livered goverment, they will be of no use to you Henry.

cheers barry

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

What's your view Wurz?

don't think ICES should give advice on management, they are not qualified, they can give a rough estimate on how they think the fish stocks are doing, because a certain stock is below an imaginary plucked out of thin air figure they can only suggest a zero catch, but just like you, they don't know the implications of that statement.

As for the rest of the gravy train circus, they should all be swept up and pushed into the North Sea.

I fish to live and live to fish.

don't think ICES should give advice on management, they are not qualified, they can give a rough estimate on how they think the fish stocks are doing, because a certain stock is below an imaginary plucked out of thin air figure they can only suggest a zero catch, but just like you, they don't know the implications of that statement.

As for the rest of the gravy train circus, they should all be swept up and pushed into the North Sea.

Who do you consider to be best qualified for the management position if the job became available Wurzel ?

Hi Henry, this is where we differ mate. Your first para. i don't suggest, i state that the eu needs lobbying if you feel the need as they DO control the seas around us and not the lakys the uk goverment, also posted previously. So your petition will only be getting there by second class mail and that could take along time. At the end of the day, when your 1000 signiture pet reaches Gorden, he will then ask ben what to do about it, he will say it's allright Gorden, my ten millon pound just for fisheries alone department is on top of it, we have the top eu scientists dealing with this etc, etc and around we go again. What a waste of time, effort and money.

The only thing active in france is the unions, you know the blockaders united. They are the ones not getting away with it but are controlling the goverment. I am aware that the french goverment has been and still is being find by the eu for illegal fishing practices by their own fleet. This is still on going apparently, unless someone tells me differant. Then its as you say the farmers etc who have blockked for many years the legal importation by our farmers of clean beef to their country. The list goes on Henry, it is only their radical fringe department who are again working the lilly livered goverment, they will be of no use to you Henry.

cheers barry

I am not interested in 1000 names. There are 1m RSA in this country. That would make a difference.

France is not relevant here. Britain and our fishing future both commercial and RSA is.