Windows Media Player

jedibond

Evening all,

Had my PC sorted out by the so called 'techies' at work and now WMP won't run. I had version 11 installed and it all worked fine, still in the program file, still got the icon etc but when I click on either it looks like it's about to start but it doesn't.

Techie has tried it on two other pc's and the copy works fine, anyone got any ideas as he's now clueless !

If all else fails, can Microsoft provide a hard copy to load up or is there another decent player that does everything WMP 11 does out there ???

:giveup::giveup::giveup:

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

un install it then go to MS update website it might i say might give you an option to install it.

damn techies eh, if you want somthing done you gotta do it yourself, the previous owner of my own pc had one out and didnt know what was wrong with it so this one instead of reformatting the pc like most say he put in a new motherboard this wasnt the problem the pc would just shut down after 2 hours use then doesnt come back on for another 2 hours after a while they sent him a new one and didnt come for the old broken one so i got it, new power supply and away it goes £1,400 pc for me :yeah:

oh and if MS dont work uninstall then go find a download for it and reinstall try downloads.com

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Tried the MS update website, about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I'll have a look at the downloads.com thing and see if that does it.

I can't do a complete OS reformat as I haven't got a CD to do it with :(

Ian

Tried the MS update website, about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I'll have a look at the downloads.com thing and see if that does it.

I can't do a complete OS reformat as I haven't got a CD to do it with :(

noooooooo not a reformat , atleast not for somthing as trivial as windows media player :blink:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Cheers Slap, I'll try that one over the weekend

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I'm stumped. I've tried removing it, downloading it again, removing that, loading from a cd dowloaded by someone else. It still won't bloody work !!!

From what the techies at work say it appears to be a problem with my pc. The icons are there, the programme is there, etc but when you click on them the hour glass appears for two seconds as if it's opening it, then nothing ! This is really beginning to pee me off now !

Can anyone help ???

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Ian

Okay, I'm stumped. I've tried removing it, downloading it again, removing that, loading from a cd dowloaded by someone else. It still won't bloody work !!!

From what the techies at work say it appears to be a problem with my pc. The icons are there, the programme is there, etc but when you click on them the hour glass appears for two seconds as if it's opening it, then nothing ! This is really beginning to pee me off now !

Can anyone help ???

:angry: :angry: :angry:

If everything else is working then it is not the pc as such, it is probably a registery problem, the path was corrupted when he did whatever he did and when you uninstall it does not remove all of the information, so when you reinstall it picks up on the left overs.

There are programs for removing the nitty gritty but it is better done manually by going through the system and searching for the bits left behind, it is not hard to do, BUT it can be very dangerous, backup first is a must just in case you end up reformatting.

All the files are clearly named and you can just disable rather than remove, I had the same problem with another program and resolved it this way.

You could try restore but it does not always have the desired result.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist