Piking today.....

oneillbox

Why pull the dinner from the Pike's gullet? That Pike might have waited weeks for that meal, just for you come along and pull it out, just to satisfy your own curiosity. I've never understood why Pikers want to pull the contents from a Pike's gullet, just to see what it's been eating.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why pull the dinner from the Pike's gullet? That Pike might have waited weeks for that meal, just for you come along and pull it out, just to satisfy your own curiosity. I've never understood why Pikers want to pull the contents from a Pike's gullet, just to see what it's been eating.

Strongly agree. If I catch an emaciated fish, I tend to do the reverse. Pop a smallish bait down it's throat just before release. If it doesn't want it, it can get rid of it easy enough.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

In over 40 years of fishing Ive never seen a pike attack a bird.

The only birds I've ever seen eaten were a couple of very young mallard chicks taken one after the other.

Pike do however attack bigger birds and there was a photo of a dead pike with a bird in it's throat on here a couple of months ago. The only time I've ever seen anything like that was a GC Grebe that got attacked 3 or 4 timeson a local lake. For some reason, it didn't fly off and just kept rearing up and looking frantickly arround as these big swirls and bulges of water pushed it arround. Never came close to being eaten but I bet it's legs were a mess afterwards.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've never seen a Pike attack an adult bird of any description but I have seen a mallard chick being swiped at. Why the Pike didn't actually eat the bird is anyone's guess, because it could have easily but it didn't.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

the tench was alive !! and it limped away in the water !!

if the tench was manky and dead, i would not have had the stomach to remove it...

the tench was alive !! and it limped away in the water !!

if the tench was manky and dead, i would not have had the stomach to remove it...

Even still, it was that pikes dinner.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

the pike could also have been my dinner !!

but i spared it, just like i did the tench !!

so everyone is happy (except you)... 2 lives saved in one foul swoop.

Who said everyone was happy apart from you? Sipidan agreed with me so your statement is wrong. And how exactly did you save the life of the pike when you robbed it off it's dinner? Explain.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Good job it was a Tench,if it had been a Perch you could have damaged the pike as the dorsal fin when swallowed is pushed flat but if pulled backwards it could erect the spines causing severe damage.

Live and learn guys and leave the pike with any food in its throat alone.

Lee

Good job it was a Tench,if it had been a Perch you could have damaged the pike as the dorsal fin when swallowed is pushed flat but if pulled backwards it could erect the spines causing severe damage.

Live and learn guys and leave the pike with any food in its throat alone.

Lee

Well said. That's now 3 folk who disagree with you oneillbox. Me, Sipidan and now Lee. Still want to tell me everyone is happy?

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...