Lobster / Crab Pots

Pav

2 types of pots are used by the local commercial fishermen from what I can gather. 1 has an rigid plastic funnel entrance on the side with a sectioned area inside that is linked by a net funnel.

The other design has a rigid plastic funnel entrance on top and no net funnel inside or any entrances on the side.

Plan to make a pot for my own use. How do these 2 designs compare? Are they both targetting Lobster / Crab or are the differences to target 1 or the other?

Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 types of pots are used by the local commercial fishermen from what I can gather. 1 has an rigid plastic funnel entrance on the side with a sectioned area inside that is linked by a net funnel.

The other design has a rigid plastic funnel entrance on top and no net funnel inside or any entrances on the side.

Plan to make a pot for my own use. How do these 2 designs compare? Are they both targetting Lobster / Crab or are the differences to target 1 or the other?

Thanks.

The 2 main types of pot are `parlour pots` and `ink well` pots. The ones with the 2 compartments separated by a piece of angled netting are the parlour pots and are increasingly used against the standard inkwells. The parlours are good because nothing can escape from them and can be left for longer periods at sea without worry of loosing your catch...they are the best by far. The inkwells seem to fish better closer to shore, but are not as popular as they were! From experience, parlour pots are the best for both crab and lobster, ecpecially lobster, as they are more likely to escape!

The 2 main types of pot are `parlour pots` and `ink well` pots. The ones with the 2 compartments separated by a piece of angled netting are the parlour pots and are increasingly used against the standard inkwells. The parlours are good because nothing can escape from them and can be left for longer periods at sea without worry of loosing your catch...they are the best by far. The inkwells seem to fish better closer to shore, but are not as popular as they were! From experience, parlour pots are the best for both crab and lobster, ecpecially lobster, as they are more likely to escape!

Is there not a MAX. time the pots can be left set??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Is there not a MAX. time the pots can be left set??

Well, they no longer fish after the bait has been eaten (about 2 days if its not FULL of nice crab)

But i have seen a string of parlour pots come up that have been lost for months still full of crab, and even dog fish, as they are un-escapable :)

I Thought A Parlour pot went under the Bed!!

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Did you `get` anything in it????

Some times, But missed 9 times out of 10 I Too now prefer the funnel Method :thumbs:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Apparently inkwells are much better for crays and spiders. Parlours are so efficient that they are banned in certain areas, so check the rules for your area.

My mate and I once had a 6lb spider come up hanging onto the outside of the pot, it was simply too big to fit through the neck!

Oh, if you fit a 'pot lock' (the spring-loaded flaps) to the neck of your inkwells, then be prepared to catch a lot more conger than you would with a normal pot!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com