Fordingbridge on the Hampshire Avon

PanamaJack

More years ago that I care to remember I used to fish a day ticket water at East Mills, just above Fordingbridge on the Hampshire Avon. Friends have suggested that with a change of ownership the water is now strictly private, but on this web site there’s reference to day tickets still being available. Is the latter information out of date though? Does anyone know for certain?

Or are there perhaps any other day ticket waters on the Avon in the immediate vicinity? I’ve found an isolated reference to Fordingbridge Rec.

Dave

Went there last year, the bit by the park in fording bridge is still day ticket.

see here http://www.newforestfishing.com/

Hi Peter

Many Thanks for your prompt reply.

Thanks

Dave

most of the pubs have beats on the river:

Bat & Ball, Bull in Downton, Stag Inn @ Charlton.

Sandy balls holiday park has 1/2 mile - trees are a pain.

Rec is still free?

and it's all a tad high this week........

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

most of the pubs have beats on the river:

Bat & Ball, Bull in Downton, Stag Inn @ Charlton.

Sandy balls holiday park has 1/2 mile - trees are a pain.

Rec is still free?

and it's all a tad high this week........

Rec is now day ticket I believe. You can get tickets from Sandy Balls and a couple of other places too. Beware the trout though! Last time I was there it was chock full of little rainbows (trout farm escapees I presume)

Robin

That website is definitely out of date, East Mills is unfortunately unavailable, neither are there day tickets sold for the Severals fishery any more.

Day tickets are still needed for Fordingbridge Park according to my RDAA book.

Not sure about Sandy Balls; do you need to be staying on site for a ticket or is it open to anyone?

The following are all I can come up with:-

Royalty

Bisterne (sometimes)

Lifelands

Fordingbridge Park

Bat and Ball

Britford LAA

Thank you all for taking the trouble to respond.

We spent many a happy day fishing at Britford (LAA) last winter mainly wobbling deadbaits for the Pike. And my friend even had what our American 'cousins' would describe as a 'Grand Slam' one day on a Rapala - Pike, wild Brownie and a 3 1/2lb male Salmon. Great fun! Didn't have the patience for those BIG 3lb plus Roach in the carrier but, right at the end of the season, saw a 7lb Bream and 5lb Tench come out. Different?

Reminiscing about East Mills though last time I was there, fishing for the Chub late one afternoon, a rather tall, gaunt gentleman wearing a trilby arrived on the river bank, set up his chair about 50 yards downstream and just sat there. Not fishing! Curiousity took over. I wandered down and started talking to ........Chris Yates. An aimable individual who'd by that time lost interest in Carp fishing - too high tech - more than willing to talk about Barbel fishing though, his passion at the time. He'd got his close whipped built cane rod, centrepin and, using salmon roe for bait, was intending to fish in 'my' swim once I'd left for Barbel. Quite a character. He'd had 12 pounders from the swim but I realise now I'm talking about events from a long, long time ago.

Best wishes

Dave

Edited by PanamaJack