A question for divers

Thinking about hols. A few years ago I was in Lanzarote, and had a go at scuba diving. Just one session, but I was touched by the brightly coloured fish that swam alongside me so trustingly. I must say, even if I had had a rod with me, I'd have felt a bit of a rotter trying to catch them!

2 questions:

Why did they do it? Wouldn't instinct or evolution have taught them that critters much bigger than them were best avoided?

Do British fish (for example in gravel pits) swim alongside in the same way?

J

john clarke

in most instances abroad: certainly tourist dives: the fish will gave been fed and gotten quite used to divers and linked them with food.

on less common dives most fish don't recognise divers as dangerous. so they will be a but more cautious but will still get fairly close if your slow and steady.

during my diving training at Gildenburgh waters I came across pike and roach, and they were not hugely spooked at all by our presence. Gildenburgh is heavily dived though and the fish, especially the pike, are quite used to divers getting up close!

there are some great pictures above the bar at Gildenburgh!

as for wild lake diving in the Uk then most fish are easily spooked but there are not many good visibility lakes where you can freely dive because of the fishing/ sporting pressure!

ghost carp at Gildenburgh

Edited by kirisute

Your inside their enviornment instead of looking in from the outside like when we spook them from the banks which is totally alien to them.

Ive never dived either. Well depending on your interpritation of the word diving and i dont play football

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk