Surface Poppers

Paul Molyneux

I must confess that my knowledge of plugging for Bass is zero and I start as a novice although I am learning qickly thanks to some of the more experienced pluggers who use this site.

Paul

Have a look on the BASS website (and then join :thumbs: )

For starters, there are three interesting articles here - http://ukbass.com/fishingbits/fishingarticles.html

That should give a you a few ideas, not to metion a bit of confidence.

Cheers

Steve

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul

For starters, there are three interesting articles here - http://ukbass.com/fishingbits/fishingarticles.html

Cheers

Steve

Yes confidence in the lure is essential. If you are confident you work it properly and concentrate. I am probably a bit "narrow minded" in my approach to popping for bass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fish only the Yozuri Aile Magnet 18g sandeel for my bass in Luce Bay.My bass "sensai" Manxman put me onto this killer. He has tried dozens of different types of poppers over the years and found this baby to be the most productive.

I do have other types of poppers in my tackle bag but have yet to try them. Keep the faith in this baby :thumbs:

YozuriAileMagnetpopper.jpg

Thanks for the tip John :clap2: Managed to winkle 9 bass out of Luce Bay this year on it.Lets see what 2007 brings :rolleyes:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Yes confidence in the lure is essential. If you are confident you work it properly and concentrate. I am probably a bit "narrow minded" in my approach to popping for bass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fish only the Yozuri Aile Magnet 18g sandeel for my bass in Luce Bay.My bass "sensai" Manxman put me onto this killer. He has tried dozens of different types of poppers over the years and found this baby to be the most productive.

I do have other types of poppers in my tackle bag but have yet to try them. Keep the faith in this baby :thumbs:

YozuriAileMagnetpopper.jpg

Thanks for the tip John :clap2: Managed to winkle 9 bass out of Luce Bay this year on it.Lets see what 2007 brings :rolleyes:

You guys have been brilliant!

I have 2 of these lures in the 125mm 30gm size of that colour.

I am not sure about the size though. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who uses the 125mm size

I have no doubt that you are very successful Snatcher and I did clock your lure when you mailed me a picture of your Greys GRX.

Any other pointers would be very welcome.

Take your mind back to when you took your 1st Bass on plug and the joy you got from that. I am yet to get that feeling and it looks as if I will have to wait a while. Maybe April/May

Below are some Bass that we did catch on live eel of a North Cornwall Beach. I'm the one in the "dazzling jumper"

post-10888-1166952145_thumb.jpg

Paul

Cheers

Steve

Steve

Hope you had a nice Christmas!

Will join BASS.

Any ideas on a good pair of polarised sunglasses?

Wishing you a happy and productive 2007

Paul

Steve

Hope you had a nice Christmas!

Will join BASS.

Any ideas on a good pair of polarised sunglasses?

Wishing you a happy and productive 2007

Paul

Hi Paul

You going somewhere sunny then?

Ask a dozen people about sunglasses and you'll get 12 differing answers.

I think as a general rule - buy the best you can afford. This could be £20, it could be £120 or anything in between.

Glass lenses are usually moe expensive, but are more scratch / salt water resistant and are usually optically corrected (little distortion) - I do prefer glass to plastic lenses.

Many people like an amber tint for low light or cloudy conditions - I get on OK with a grey tint, but do have an amber set for a spare when abroad.

Amber would be good for early morning or late evening bassing.

I've used Action Optics 'Guides Choice' style for a few years now and would buy another pair straight away if I lost mine.

Other makes recommended in the past on other forums have been Maui Jims, Ocean Wave and Seringhetti.

At the other end are loads of main brand tackle manufacturers like Snowbee, Masterline, Shakespeare, Diawa, Fox etc.

Cheers

Steve

PS How long ago was that photo taken?

Judging by the size of those bass and your hairstyles, it must have been back in the 70's

Edited by steve pitts

Hi Paul

I think as a general rule - buy the best you can afford. This could be £20, it could be £120 or anything in between.

Glass lenses are usually moe expensive, but are more scratch / salt water resistant and are usually optically corrected (little distortion) - I do prefer glass to plastic lenses.

Many people like an amber tint for low light or cloudy conditions - I get on OK with a grey tint, but do have an amber set for a spare when abroad.

I've used Action Optics 'Guides Choice' style for a few years now and would buy another pair straight away if I lost mine.

Other makes recommended in the past on other forums have been Maui Jims, Ocean Wave and Seringhetti.

At the other end are loads of main brand tackle manufacturers like Snowbee, Masterline, Shakespeare, Diawa, Fox etc.

Cheers

Steve

Judging by the size of those bass and your hairstyles, it must have been back in the 70's

Steve

You are quite right on the photo. The picture was taken by a friend called Mike Millman. He is very well known down this part of the country. The Jumper was a legacy from Ted Tuckerman another fishing journlist also well known down here. He was renowned for his patterned jumpers which became all the rage, so he's to blame!

Those fish were caught on 14th October 1978 on live eel at around 01:30 in the morning off a North Cornwall beach with the largest fish being 10lb 2ozs. My friend caught and lost the bigger fish in the surf. I was further out and managed to stop it going back out to sea.

I have kept marks and times of all fish caught over the years.

My passion in those days though was Smalleyed Ray and I fished mostly for that species.

You might find the attachment below interesting. I think that an evenings catch like this would be hard to repeat now.

Thanks for the info on the sunglasses! I did pop out yesterday morning first light. I did not catch a fish but had something jump at the Sandeel Aile Magnet slider. I'm not sure what it was as is all happened very quickly. It wasn't very large and looked quite thin.

I know there is not much chance of picking much up at this time of the year but it beats sitting at home and there always is that small chance. Good to get used to the new gear as well.

I will persevere with the plugging though tell I get some some fish, probably next spring. I will probably fish for SE Ray, Bull Huss and Conger till then

regards

Paul Molyneux

post-10888-1167330263_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul

Cheers

Steve

Sorry Steve!

You will get neck ache looking at the last picture.

regards

post-10888-1167334038_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul

Cheers

Steve

Steve

I have done some homework on the sunglasses.

I can see why you are using Guides Choice.

There seems to be a fair old choice with these glasses. Glass/Polycarbonite and various shade colours which include copper.

I think I would favour glass photochromic lenses over the plastic as well. I have always had good quality sunglasses like Raybans etc but not polarized which would be useful for fishing. (Didn't need them in the dark).

I'm pretty sure that I will go for this make! I have also seen Smiths Ocean Optics Fishbones. They seem to be of a similar quality.

The only dealer that I can see that will supply the Guides Choice here is Sportfish and they are £99. Seems reasonable for a good set of shades!

I have been looking through a lot of the American sites. There is a massive choice from this manufactuer an some will deliver to the UK.

Are you familier with the copper type glass lense?

Paul

Hi Paul

I tried a pair of specs with copper tints at the Game Fair in the summer.

I found the contrast was far to extreme for my liking. It was a sunny July afternoon and I was looking into the River Test at Broadlands.

These may be good for fish spotting, but I also use my polaroids for everyday use and driving and would find the copper tint horrible for anything other that looking for fish. I think that the rrp of those shades was £130 - far too pricey, when I already have a good enough pair of Action Optics (from Sportfish).

My daughter has a pair of Oakleys with a copper tint and I always think of those cheap sunglasses you could get when I was a kid, with yellow celophane 'lenses', when I tried them on.

Photochromatics can be a good idea, but I have limited experience of these, since I owned a pair of 'Aviators' in the 80's.

I guess that things have improved since then, as these weren't polarised, so were pretty naff for fishing.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Paul

I tried a pair of specs with copper tints at the Game Fair in the summer.

I found the contrast was far to extreme for my liking. It was a sunny July afternoon and I was looking into the River Test at Broadlands.

These may be good for fish spotting, but I also use my polaroids for everyday use and driving and would find the copper tint horrible for anything other that looking for fish. I think that the rrp of those shades was £130 - far too pricey, when I already have a good enough pair of Action Optics (from Sportfish).

My daughter has a pair of Oakleys with a copper tint and I always think of those cheap sunglasses you could get when I was a kid, with yellow celophane 'lenses', when I tried them on.

Photochromatics can be a good idea, but I have limited experience of these, since I owned a pair of 'Aviators' in the 80's.

I guess that things have improved since then, as these weren't polarised, so were pretty naff for fishing.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

It would appear that I might need two pairs, amber photo-chromic for low light conditions and continuous density Grey for brighter conditions.

Sportfish are doing them for £95, not £99 but only advertise black frames with Key Largo Grey lenses or Tortoiseshell frames with photo-chromic copper lenses.

I might need to get a pair of amber ones from the states.

Thanks again for the help

All the best

Paul