multiplier versus fixed spool

arthurcodsbody

Just received my new 525 mag to go with my new Daiwa ZS12M and as i'm off work today I thought i'll nip down the beach and give it a go (having never used a multiplier for casting before I must admit to being a bit apprehensive regarding overruns and the like) but whoa jesus what an imediate improvement!! Before with my fixed spool if I hit a good one I could just about make 70-80 yards, Straight away this morning I hit the magical 100 yards and by the end of the session a couple of hours later I was hitting the 100 without really trying... horizon here I come!

PS...anyone want to buy a fixed spool cos I aint ever going back.

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

don't flog your fixed spool until you've been night fishing a few times as you can't spot the weight splashdown and have to do it by feel this( birdsnest city is when day practice can come into its own

As obe one might say " feel the force young Jedi"

looking to get some practice in on my new Penn Villan once reel arrives!

Tack4

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Yea very easily without removing covers which is handy when night fishing, an adjustable 'screw' located on the left side of the reel sets up 'rough' spool tension thus adjusting the spool speed and then you have the adjustable magnets which also alter the spool speed settings 0-8 so theres quite alot of play in the spool speed. As I say i've only had acouple of hours playing with it not actual fishing this morning but already I can see why people love this reel.

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

I suppose it`s what you`r used too?

As I rarely fish from the beach in daylight, I`ve never considered switching to a multiplyer.

On the other hand, unless uptiding, I`d consider a multiplyer essential for hauling up a decent fish from the depths.

Then again, most of the Europians use 14-15ft rods with big f/s reels and manage good distances with ease?

Like I say, It`s what you feel most comfortable using. OH. Plus the cost of some of the new multiplyers!! What. You paid over £100 for a reel? You should try Weetabix for breakfast. :D:D

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Master Po would say;

Listen to the song of the reel Grasshopper, as it slows down the tune changes.

Seriously it is possible to cast a multiplier in night conditions although a good headlamp helps as you can see the coils of line coming off the reel slow down towards the end of the cast.

Bad birds nests tend to come from casting into a head wind with a fast tune on the reel.

Multipliers are an art but there is some satisfaction from executing a perfect long cast.

As an intermediate sea angler the word "Multiplier" is like saying "Dog **** curry" to me. There is nothing that would tempt me to use one, but a ton of things I hear & read that would make me avoid one. :confused:

Most of the time distance casting is not necessary & I think there is a lot of macho posturing about distance casting (?) Is this all a multiplier would add to my angling ?

I do have quite bad eyesight & unless daylight conditions are good I quite often don't see my lead on a FS splash down, but go more my judgement & sound.

I'm not very happy with my casting length with my FS rods but put that more down to a cheap rod rather than my reel.

What say you veterans ?

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

It is horses for courses.

I use small fixed spool reels for float fishing and spinning and medium sized ones for casting braid. Braid does not seem to bed down on a fixed spool like it does on a multiplier.

Clean ground beach fishing, I will switch between a medium sized fixed spool or a small to medium sized multiplier.

Manky rock fishing then I will use a big multiplier, same goes for boat fishing.

I've got the Penn 525 Mags and I love them. Red Rocket Fuel and mags on 4 and the thing cannot be blown up. And I'm a rank amateur with a nice agricultural casting style.

Not tried them at night, yet... :rolleyes:

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery