whips

oneillbox

i like to use 3 or 4m whips for thrashing out some livebait prior to going piking. the shop bought whips have a small eye on the end, i was told to remove this and fix/glue a small sliding plastic device on the end to attach the line too.

is that correct, are the small eyes on the end of whips unreliable ??

its just that most whip/short pole rigs have a loop in the end and the plastic connectors are of a hook & coller arangement that allows quick changing of rigs by trapping the loop in the hook with the sliding coller.and the rigs are stored on winders and if one rig gets snapped/notted tanglated then its quicker too change it for another rig.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Yes they are fine. In fact if you do remove one you will generally find the wire sits in the end of the whip to around a couple of inches and to remove them you will need a good pair of pliers and some elbow grease. But to be quite honest I generally remove a couple of inches and elasticate all mine. But then again the ones I sell are not used for livebaits!! So would need some elastic. BUT hwo about elasticating em anyway?? JUST in case a PIKE happens along?????? :)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Tie both ends of a length of 15lb line to the eye.This creates a loop big enough to join the pole rig to with the "loop to loop" method.Same as you join hook lengths to main line.By tying it at around 2" you can pass the whole winder through the loop so you havnt got to unwind all the rig first.

That said Ive never trusted the wire eyes either! If I dont want to elasticate a whip there are several different ways of attaching your rig.

1.Whipp on a short length of nylon string with an overhand loop in the end.By folding the loop in your rig back on itself you can then push the string through this and pull tight against the knot.

2. Push a piece of float rubber or two on to the end of your wipp.Take the rig line through the eye on the whipp and wrap it round spiral style for a foot or two trap the end with a bit of float/scillicone rubber you slide on and finnish off with a longer 2" piece half over the eye.

But by far the easiest is to just cut the wire eye off (no need to remove the wire inside) and glue on a Stonfo conector! Just make sure you get the right size.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!