RAID 1 and XP

Lid

I just ordered a new internal hard drive for my PC which should arrive today. My original intention was to use it to make full disk backups using Acronis backup to the new drive. However I have just realised that my Motherboard has a RAID controller, so I thought I'd configure the new hard disk alongside my existing hard disk in a RAID 1 configuration to get automatic data mirroring.

The instructions to set up RAID 1 after installing the disk look straightforward and there is an option to bring the new mirror disk up-to-date. However there is some reference to creating a RAID driver diskette if you need to install XP onto a new RAID set f drives. Given that I already have XP installed on my original hard disk, do I need to do anything else other than simply install my new drive and then activate a new RAID 1 configuration?

Thanks.

Guest sandpipper

Hi lid, it was along time ago when i played around with setting up raids but i remember i had to copy two files to a floppy then press (f6) as the computer was starting up to set up the raids

• 8 months later...
Well I did it and it seems to have worked fine without a problem.
The answer was it depends, but you have it sussed now I assume?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Sure did. As I recall I just went into the RAID setup utility on my MOBO and selected the options I wanted,. It then built the RAID 1 array, presumably by mirroring my original HD onto the new one, and that was that.