Information please

*Ant*

Right guys and gals, i'm off to the I.O.W a week on Thursday. Hope to do some fishing while over there so any hot spots to head for, baits and species to target. I'll be staying in Shanklin and will only be able to fish in the evening (through till early hours if they're biting ). Sadly my fishing buddy can't make the trip so common sense tells me I shouldn't go rock hopping alone at night, so piers, jettys and easily accessable places look to be the order of the day.

Also may be tempted to jump onto a charter boat for a couple of hours if it's not to rough. Never fished from a boat but hear the waters around the Needles are good. Any reccommendations?

Thanks

:)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

aanthony?

Any of the piers if the water is rushing past? LOL. The water is always rishing past any pier facing towards the Solent. Mackeral and garfish should be ready for the float by then. Otherwise ask the local tackle shop. But tell him you`ve lost a days charter fishing because of overbooking? Otherwise you`ll get the "Bums Rush"?

I.E. You should have been here yesterday, try some of those and these, and you`ve definitely got the wrong rod!!

Charter boats? Tel Bob Gawn, runs `W.Saphire` out of Yarmouth. 01983740554. If he can`t give you a place himself he`ll give you another skipper to call. Bob Gawn is very big into the local competitions and the islands charter fleet. If he leads you wrong? Blame me.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

If you have transport, Ryde pier is ok at the moment. Smoothies, some small bass, the odd ray .

Sandown front by The zoo fishes well, Sandown pier has it's moments, you have to buy a ticke to fish, I think it was a pound last year.

In Shanklin try a place called the stinkpot. Doesn't stink but fishes ok, it's on the front and you can fish from the car park. If you email me I'll try and dig a map out for you.

Bembridge lifeboat station is also producing. If in doubt at the time you're here there is a tackle shop in Shanklin, again can't remember the road name off hand, they may give you some info.

Baits that work right now are crabs, squid and rag. The rag can be dug easily enough at St Helens

Regards

Ken

Thanks Paul & Ken

Ken, you have mail mate.

"stinkpot", is that the end at the bottom of the main road where the kiddies fair was many years ago, or the other end by the pub?

Ta :)

[ 21. May 2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: aanthony ]

Hi

Ryde pier can be fished at night and is lit. Best spot is top far right corner. Don't have to keep pulling line in and out when cats come in.

How long you can stay at night there depends upon who is on the late shift!!

One git called Ralph boots every one off at 10PM others let you stay a while longer sometime to midnight.

Hopefully maps will be on the way soon

Ken

Thanks Ken, received your e-mail with the maps last night. Hopefully get to put them to good use next week.

Ta, much appreciated