Betaine

Socksy Squirrel

Hi there,

Has anyone considered trying betaine.

The carpers add it to their bait mixes and it is known to stimulate feeding in sole.

Commercially it is extracted from sugar beet but it is a known constituent of the body fluids of many marine organisms.

I am not sure how you would use it, it is a hygroscopic water soluble powder.

I was thinking of skinning some squid, slicing it into strips and sprinkling the powder on to it and putting it in the fridge overnight hoping that it would be absorbed, bit like a marinade.

hi socksy

i used to use hi-betaine when carp fishing ,but i always used bait soak(concentrate fluid)just pop your chosen bait in fluid for 24hrs and use ,the stuff i used was made by nash baits,get it from any decent tackle shop.

let us know how it goes

good luck

Socksy Squirrel:

Commercially it is extracted from sugar beet but it is a known constituent of the body fluids of many marine organisms.

Some land dwellers as well. When you puke, there is a significant amount of betaine in it.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Point taken, betaine turns up all over the place but it seems to be a stimulant to feeding activity in fish that feed on marine worms.

Choline seems to trigger feeding in US bass species from my quick review of the papers.

I do not think these are magic ingredients but a niff of a molecule that meant food might just turn the fish on.

A 10% edge is worth having :)

SS - a 1% edge is worth having. :D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

When you puke, there is a significant amount of betaine in it.

That is significant. One of my better days fishing was with my younger brother who is notoriously seasick. I'll have to try the stuff (baitsoak, not my brothers puke!)

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk