north wales / cheshire canal help

richjones

Does anyone know of any good stretches of canal for fishing within around 15/20 miles of the wrexham area?

I usually fish the stretches around the llangollen town area but with the canal being fed from the turbulent river dee only a mile upstream im finding it very hard at the moment with the chocolate coloured water putting the fish off.

are the parts around chirk and further towards shropshire likely to be clearer, and do they hold good fish stocks?

im not looking for any giants but a regular shoal of small roach/dace/perch would be nice and keep my hopes up to last the whole day!

also is the shrophire union canal any good near chester?

any help would be gratefully accepted :thumbs: thanks!

You could try the Shropshire canal anywhere from Mollington A540, through Backford and past the zoo, up to the M53 J11, there are a good head of roach and some nice perch and pike swims.

Towpaths are good and the far bank is often reedbeds, perfect for preds.

Boat traffic in summer can be frustrating as can the large clumps of reeds floating through but its a pleasant stretch to rove. Tightlines.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Hi Rich

No sorry rich i only fish the runcorn part of the bridgewater canal but i am sure that the warrington end will be just as good as the runcorn end, i am not saying it is easy fishing the bridgewater canal because its not but there is plenty of good fish when you can get them going in your swim....

Wayne

Hi Rich

No sorry rich i only fish the runcorn part of the bridgewater canal but i am sure that the warrington end will be just as good as the runcorn end, i am not saying it is easy fishing the bridgewater canal because its not but there is plenty of good fish when you can get them going in your swim....

Wayne

Hi Wayne.

Which club control the runcon end. I have heard of a couple.

Can you clarify it for me?.

Regards.

Tony.

Edited by tony jolley

Tony B.T Jolley

• 7 months later...
Does anyone know of any good stretches of canal for fishing within around 15/20 miles of the wrexham area?

I usually fish the stretches around the llangollen town area but with the canal being fed from the turbulent river dee only a mile upstream im finding it very hard at the moment with the chocolate coloured water putting the fish off.

are the parts around chirk and further towards shropshire likely to be clearer, and do they hold good fish stocks?

im not looking for any giants but a regular shoal of small roach/dace/perch would be nice and keep my hopes up to last the whole day!

also is the shrophire union canal any good near chester?

any help would be gratefully accepted :thumbs: thanks!

hi rich i want to fish the canal in llangollen! i have heard there is chub in there is that true?also any tips for fishing there?any good swims?thanks :thumbs:

hey finfighter,

iv been fishing the streches around llangollen a couple of times this year. this area is difficult to fish because of the amount of boats disturbing your swim literally every 2 minutes! however if you go upstream towards the horseshoe falls the canal becomes clear and it is great fun just watching the large bream and the odd pike in their natural habitats.

look into the water under the long tunnel upsteam of the pavilion and you can see bream of 7-8 pounds just sitting there with the larger roach. these fish are spooked very easily as you may expect and fishing at night may be the only option here.

if your after a good days fishing around this area then i would suggest you travel to the stretches near the aqauduct. if you fish in the newbridge area especially on the wider stretch where the road is near the canal, you can expect to catch skimmers and roach to over 1lb, as well as the odd larger bream.

iv never seen or heard of any chub being caught in the canal, but i know that they are present in the dee to over 7lb so theres a good possibility of the odd one being in there. your best bet is to target the silver fish though.

let me know how you get on as i dont fish this canal much and need as much advice as you do!