Poole Harbour 14/01/07

overrun

Spent a few hours in Poole Harbour today, for the comp I should have caught this:

gallery_10389_167_34586.jpg

but probably best not :lol: Launched at about 11 oclock from the the small sandy beach at the edge of the road running upto Sandbanks. The reason for the delayed launch was because I had originally planned to fish off Hengistbury Head in the hope of a long doggie, but upon arrival at my usual launch point, did not like the look of breakers over shallow banks that I normally traverse on route, also the launch point was a little choppy. Poole Harbour was my back-up plan, arrived at the 'Holly Bushes' opposite Sandbanks carpark having remembered that there were small ramps or slipways all the way round the inner harbour wall. Parked-up, bought a ticket (£1 all day) unloaded the Yak then looked at the slip. Bugger, covered in slippery green slime, nearly fell over just investigating. Decided that it really wasn't worth taking the risk, loaded up the Yak again and moved to my eventual launch point, further north and east. Fortunately, the parking meters were the same so I retained my ticket.

Paddled out to the North Channel and anchored-up in approx 10ft of water right on the edge. Fished for a while with no result, traffic in the harbour was surprisingly busy. Brownsea looked very inviting in the Sun, but I was torn between fishing and paddling. Decided to go, but would fish in the mooring area between the North Channel and the Middle Ship Channel on route, picked my moment to avoid traffice and crossed over, depth in the channel was 24ft then back to 15-16 ft in the mooring area. Wind had picked a bit with a squall going through, this coupled with some high wake producing traffic gave me a wave over the side :yucky: . Headed back across the North Channel to the relative safety of the shallower water. The weather settled down and the sea with it, time for a second go. This time resolved to go all the way to Brownsea in one. All went well until I was 50 yards or so from the beach, was right in the Middle Channel and approx. 35ft on the sounder. A medim sized trawler progressing at a sensible pace was approaching from the Poole end of the harbour and would safely pass behind me. However, it was quite clearly the most inefficient hull shape possible, as the wake resembled a small wave and was cresting continually as it spread behind the approaching vessel. Immediately, I turned the Yak around and faced the oncoming wave, the wave was ridden easily but I wouldn't have fancied it side on, the wave passed by and slapped onto the shore, a good 2 ft high, amazing amount of disturbance when compared with the car ferry, which only produced a barely noticeable swell.

Landed on Brownsea for lunch, which shouln't have done according to the charts, Police came hacking by but were uninterested. Found at the high water mark, a bright blue and silver Yozuri floating popper plug, Mackerel style, nice, look forward to trailing that round Kimmeridge.

gallery_10389_167_28574.jpg

After lunch resolved to fish the central mooring area between the two shipping channels. This time anchored-up, but the anchor was dragging and so repositioned again to avoid a mooring buoy that was coming up fast. Once again, the anchor dragged, until I was right on the edge of the Northern Channel, then the dragging ceased and I continued to fish for an hour or so, plenty of traffic, most well behaved, got the odd wave of acknowledgement, the only one really pushing it was, you guessed it, the Police! Finally, managed a small Bass, which I measured with the wife's tape measure :headhurt: , just 36cm but quite portly, obviously not getting enough exercise and too much food: :)

gallery_10389_167_743.jpg

Anchor was now stuck! Paddled around on the end like a mad thing trying to dislodge it. I use the bridle system rather than weak link. Having paused for thought I let out a good 30 meters of haul and paddled well up stream of my original position, this worked fine and the anchor pulled free, need to keep a very shallow angle on the anchor to get it free when stuck. All in all very pleasant day. :thumbs: and has kicked my year off well, what a fantastic hobby this is. :thumbs:

Edited by overrun

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

OK, I got the message :uhuh: , the report was far too breif, must do better next time, in the meantime I've edited in more content.

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Nice pictures and report.

:clap2: thanks Mike, I'll shut up now.

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Great report and pics M8. I love to read all the reports, even the quiet ones as it gives me motivation to get out there.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

I know that this site is great for advice BUT to me the best part is the reports and photos of trips around the country - Just keep them coming!! :thumbs:

here,here ,well done Overrun :thumbs: are you fishing this weekend?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Thanks chaps, your comments are most humbly and gratefully received, and I totally agree, I always look forward to all your inspirational reports from around the country.

Sunday looking good weather wise Richie, seen your invitation on AA. I'm expecting Kayakarma to be out for the first time in his new Prowler this weekend, I know he is itching to do Magazine lane near Marchwood, so we'll probably be going there, will discuss further tomorrow and let u know.

Edited by overrun

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23