Pike Trace

james17

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the 49 strand from E.T products or does it not matter?

Thanks for the rest of the info will stick to cripming.

Cheers

I still use the Wonder Wire that I bought off my successor at Caliber Tackle when I retired. He'd switched supplier to American Fishing Wire but kept the name of Wonder Wire. Both my original Wonder Wire and the rebadged American Fishing Wire are excellent.

I haven't used any other brands and so I'm afraid I'm not qualified to comment. Certainly the spec of 49 strand wire varies considerably, and some of the samples I had were unsuitable for fishing. However I expect that most if not all the 49 strand wires on the fishing market are more than acceptable, and certainly better IMO than any 7 strand wire.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Very soft wires like the 49strand ones can be more awkward to use if you're using a livebait as they are so soft the bait can cause tangles. Stiffer wires solve this problem. If you really think that pike are sensitive to trace wire it may have its uses for deadbaits, though still more likely to get tangled that stiffer wires.

Tim

Sounds good but i can't find wonder wire for sale anywhere. Is it still sold?

Cheers

You're unlikely to find any more in the shops I've afraid.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Personally speaking I would'nt get too hung up over the best type of supple wire or which 49 strand is best until you've had a bit of experience piking first. Sorry if that sounds a bit uppity or offhand but if you are asking questions about crimps and twists and worrying about losing twenties then it sounds like you're using shop bought ones at the moment so any reasonably home made rig using decent wire should give you more confidence than unknown shop bought ones

Try and avoid using twenty pound wire as it can act like cheese wire on the pikes jaw and I've seen some nasty injuries from its use especially on large fighting fit fish, be careful when using plastic coated wire as it can rot inside the wire and crimp leading to the failure of what appeared to be perfectly good trace wire. Thats not saying don't use it,just be careful

Theres nothing wrong with 7 strand wire and the ET 7 strand is very good, the lineaffe wire from Italy is also good as is the Leeda wire and the Fox wire. The main difficulty many seem to have when making their own rigs up is they don't buy enough crimps or rely on those that the manufacturer supplies with the wire and there simply is'nt enough to go with the length of wire supplied

Edited by Brian Carragher

Very soft wires like the 49strand ones can be more awkward to use if you're using a livebait as they are so soft the bait can cause tangles. Stiffer wires solve this problem. If you really think that pike are sensitive to trace wire it may have its uses for deadbaits, though still more likely to get tangled that stiffer wires.

I've never ever had any problems with tangling myself - wire is inherently stiff anyway. In fact, I rarely have problems with supple 4lb nylon when livebaiting for perch, let alone any wire! If you're worried about the lack of stiffness just use a heavier breaking strain of 49 strand wire, e.g 40lbs. It'll be stiffer than a lighter breaking strain and you'll still get all the advantages I mentioned above.

Edited by Steve Burke

Personally speaking I would'nt get too hung up over the best type of supple wire or which 49 strand is best until you've had a bit of experience piking first. Sorry if that sounds a bit uppity or offhand but if you are asking questions about crimps and twists and worrying about losing twenties then it sounds like you're using shop bought ones at the moment so any reasonably home made rig using decent wire should give you more confidence than unknown shop bought ones

Brian, i do have experiance with pike fishing and making my own trace for years. However after hearing of well known anglers twisting their trebles into place i wanted to know if it was more effective than my current method (crimping). Also i noticed that some wires are far more expensive than the 7 strand that i currently use and wanted to know why this was.

Thanks for the advice

James