An Alliance Between Anglers And Commercials?

stavey

Autumn can i ask you a question? would you be happy if sea anglers had their own stock of cod to catch and commercials were not allowed to fish for that stock, and would it matter where you had to fish for them? would you be happy for the commercials to carry on regardless of their ways and means and not be bothered if they fished theirs out as long as they did not touch your stock of cod?

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

Thats quite a difficult one to answer and as its not realistically possible (cod migrating as they do)I'm not sure I can answer it.

Just giving a little thought to it. If it was possible to build a wall a mile from shore and keep the anglers fish in and trawlers werent allowed to catch it I guess it would be quite easy to say f*** you lot do as you wish I dont care. Im not sure that id subscribe to the were alright jack philosophy though as the commercial fishermans practice's have impacts beyond those simply effecting Humans. The impact of commercial fishing on nature, and the way it has been monopolised by a few fat cats does not sit easy here for me.

Thats quite a difficult one to answer and as its not realistically possible (cod migrating as they do)I'm not sure I can answer it.

Just giving a little thought to it. If it was possible to build a wall a mile from shore and keep the anglers fish in and trawlers werent allowed to catch it I guess it would be quite easy to say f*** you lot do as you wish I dont care. Im not sure that id subscribe to the were alright jack philosophy though as the commercial fishermans practice's have impacts beyond those simply effecting Humans. The impact of commercial fishing on nature, and the way it has been monopolised by a few fat cats does not sit easy here for me.

Pity that autumn i had a few idea's that just might have been worth you looking at, but never mind, as it is i can picture you showing photo's of the codling you used to catch off your local shore to your grand kids as a very old man and saying this is what i used to catch when i was younger 30 odd years ago, they are now extinct, its a shame no one came up with a decent plan on how to have saved them........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest jay_con

I think the EU did. They just failed to implement it in time.

Im not to sure about the 30 year thing stavey. This might be reality in under 10. Im just thinking about how quickly the channel stocks dissapeared. WAs it you who spoke about how poor chesil had become.

@AUTUMN@,

There is a time to talk and a time to listen. Please bear with me. I am very interested to know Big Cod`s interpretation of a blinder; and who is using them these days. If blinders were being used, then that would account for a much larger percentage of undersized fish in the cod end.

I await his reply.

Over to Big cod.

Guest jay_con

Sorry for being too eager OMOTS. Is this thing illegal. If that is the case I doubt you would get anyone here to be specific about there use. I certainly wouldnt say Mr X uses this method to catch undersize fish as then Mr X could go to his solicitor and employ him to get my isp details from Elton, my personnal details from my Isp and then take out a law suite. I think it would be wise advice to anyone to avoid being specific in the way you are asking them to be.

Im very keen to Know what the blinder method is and how it works. Any chance you would be kind enough to enlighten me. Sorry for talking when I should be listening though :rolleyes::)

[ 12. October 2005, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: @AUTUMN@ ]

This is just a small part of a Scottish Parliament document,

French dredges are bigger and heavier; they dig into the sea bed much more than normal dredges. French dredges are not used in Scotland and nearly all fishing with French dredges in United Kingdom waters takes place outwith the 6-mile limit. A ban within 6 miles, and restrictive use outwith that area, would enshrine present good practice and help to conserve stocks.

On blinders, there are ways of obstructing small scallops that escape from dredges. A ban on blinders will avoid undersized scallops being captured by that practice. That is a solid, sound, tried-and-tested method of conserving stocks in what has to date been an unregulated fishery.

10:00

dont know much about them, but the bigger boats may use them, like the Scallop boats do

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business.../ra03-0402a.htm

click on above link for the whole report

Quoted from Spanner

A couple of hours in a row bait with a string of feathers and a rubber eel saw a dozen coalfish all well into double figures in the 1920's. In the same place now you might still catch a dozen but the average size will be 1lb or less, and the last double figure fish was caught decades ago.

sounds like angling pressure to me.

Saying that there aren't the fish there used to be is admitting that there is a problem, but saying you just have to put a bit more effort into it is effectively saying that you are going to do nothing about correcting it.

I think Binatone was refferring to cod, most other stocks are ok. What would you suggest he does about it?

You are right to blame policitians, although thier civil servant advicers have a lot to answer , policys that stop boats from changeing from fishing deminishing cod to say dover sole which are increaseing, another policy penalises boats that are useing larger meshes in favour for boats fishing for baulk useing smaller meshes.

(what sort of idiot thought that one up?) are just two examples.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest jay_con

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-offic...141/9052007.htm

Been searcing for Blinders this article was all I came up with. It seems it is some type of net inserted inside the net and is used by the dutch. Item 672 describes the item. Im still not really clear on exactly what a blinder is though.

The whole transcript makes enlightening reading though.

[

[ 13. October 2005, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: @AUTUMN@ ]

OMOTS you say there must be many small codlings as the discard rate has been so high,but you know as well as me that when herring spawn it draws fish for many miles around like a magnet and it always seems small codling gather in vast numbers feeding on the spawn ,this practice of slaughter should be some how regulated in this day and age its crazy ,some skippers have told me they have steamed away from the herring mark because of the sheer slaughter they understand they are damaging there own liveley hood for the future but it seems DEFRA are the only ones who dont know what happens when herring spawn,

as for blinders you they have been used for years.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg