SUITABLE KAYAK FOR FLY FISHING

TROOT CATCHER

Hi,

I am a keen fly fisher who usually fishes in the remote lochs of Caithness/Sutherland. I have tried float tubing and being an experienced kayak user I assumed the natural progression to be fishing from a Kayak!!

I am approx. 6'3'' tall and weigh around 14/15 stone. What kayaks would you recommend? I would like to be able to carry/transport the kayak to some of the more remote areas, is this possible? I have seen some 'trolleys' which seem to be a solution.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I am a keen fly fisher who usually fishes in the remote lochs of Caithness/Sutherland. I have tried float tubing and being an experienced kayak user I assumed the natural progression to be fishing from a Kayak!!

I am approx. 6'3'' tall and weigh around 14/15 stone. What kayaks would you recommend? I would like to be able to carry/transport the kayak to some of the more remote areas, is this possible? I have seen some 'trolleys' which seem to be a solution.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

What, deserting the ranks of float tubing for a glorified plastic plank :headhurt:

A step backward in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you are more likely to get a sensible response to this in the yakkers section so maybe a kind mod will move it there for you.

Still, while your here, how did you get on tubing in the Northern Lochs ? I will be up there myself this year. Had a great time on Orkney last year but the tube isn't ideal on the larger lochs, it takes too long to get anywhere. i have been toying with the idea of a pontoon boat that you can row out in the loch and then fine manouvre with fins.

Something like this:

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/f...tpontoons.shtml

I have an Outcast tube and they are excellent quality

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

What, deserting the ranks of float tubing for a glorified plastic plank :headhurt:

A step backward in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you are more likely to get a sensible response to this in the yakkers section so maybe a kind mod will move it there for you.

Still, while your here, how did you get on tubing in the Northern Lochs ? I will be up there myself this year. Had a great time on Orkney last year but the tube isn't ideal on the larger lochs, it takes too long to get anywhere. i have been toying with the idea of a pontoon boat that you can row out in the loch and then fine manouvre with fins.

Something like this:

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/f...tpontoons.shtml

I have an Outcast tube and they are excellent quality

Dave

Dave,

similar to yourself I found moving around took a little to long in a tube. The lochs do tend to be small though and if you have fished them in the past you know where to go first! I have fished on the Forsinard, Big House and Ulbster Estate Lochs. I love the area, so much so I have bought a small cottage in the middle of the Forsinard Nature reserve. The wild trout fishing in the area is outstanding. If you intend fishing the area just get in touch and I will give you what advice I can.

Hiya Troot.

Plastic plank indeed........ :D what a way to describe one of the most enjoyable forms of transport for fishing.

I use a Scrambler XT for my Fly Fishing and enjoy the room and versatility the XT offers.

She has a low centre of gravity in the cockpit, and is an absolute dream to paddle and rig.

Worth a look at.......you wont be dissapointed. :thumbs:

Bill. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look on the Kayak Fishing pages. There are a few guys that fly fish from plastic planks.

The general consensus seems to be that the clearer the decks the better to avoid snags. There is also the issue of how far you want to paddle and at what speed you want to go.

Hoping to have a go fly fishing this year so can't offer any direct experience. I use an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 which offers good speed and stability.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hiya Troot.

Plastic plank indeed........ :D what a way to describe one of the most enjoyable forms of transport for fishing.

I use a Scrambler XT for my Fly Fishing and enjoy the room and versatility the XT offers.

She has a low centre of gravity in the cockpit, and is an absolute dream to paddle and rig.

Worth a look at.......you wont be dissapointed. :thumbs:

Bill. :)

I am all with you, I have a XT as well and rigged it with rod holders, GPS and fish finder and have fished it in a lot in the States (Boston and New Jersey) in good and very bad weather, not a problem. There are faster kayaks out there but this ia stable enough to cast from standing, love it.

The 12 foot lenth gives you more speed and the stability as well. It can take a beating and still stay afloat. the only other kayak for me would be the kayaks from Wilderness sys they are good as well.

Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT, fishfinder and GPS.

Lots of flyrods and stuff.