Food chain fears may end industrial fishing in North Sea

Jaffa

Jaffa,

I see that David Hill of Esbjerg is still writing to Fishing News (24th June) campaigning against the sandeel fishery.

He seems to know his onions.

Maybe you could contact him.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

I read that. Did he present any evidence of his theory?

Perhaps you could encourage him to join this forum Jaffs.

jaffa, can you tell us what these "creatures that depend on discards for a significant part of their diet" lived on before.... sure they will pick up discards as it's an easy meal for them, a bit like the gulls on your local tip but too suggest that they depend on discards is, in my opinion total ****** :mad:

Hi Luaplt, check out these links:

Trawler discards: a threat or a resource for opportunistic seabirds?

http://www.imedea.uib.es/natural/goi/seabi...ro%20Durban.htm

Implication of fisheries management for seabirds scavenging discards in the northern north Sea

http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/netloss_tcm5-44687.pdf

Theres plenty more if you google discards and seabirds. No real surprise either if you think about how long discarding has gone on for. It may well be better to end it but its wrong to assume that won't also have a cost.

I missed that weeks FN Leon ( I nearly broke my addiction to that paper now your forcing me to buy it again ! :D You on commission from them ?) , did he offer up any evidence? Good idea to contact him though; hes been on about the issue for two decades now right enough.

@Summer@, I'll pass the sites address on. Only wish I could remember the name of the Danish skipper that MR Hill used to trade blows with, and invite him too :D

Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest jay_con

Jaffa:

@Summer@, I'll pass the sites address on. Only wish I could remember the name of the Danish skipper that MR Hill used to trade blows with, and invite him too :D

Chris.

Thank god you have a crap memory. Couldnt handle anyone backing you up. :D:P . Dont forget to invite the anti fishing guy though.

Guest jay_con

Sounds like someone off the starship enterprise to me mate. I wouldnt worry I wouldnt think he would like to join us.

Guest jay_con

I remember that.

Im surprised more people like him haven't joined the forum. If you spend time in google conversations like this one often show up.

I remember it but can't honestly remember who was saying or fighting for what! :)

AN seems to be high in a lot of google searchs I do, but then I guess it would given the words i put into the search engine...

Nice one for the beeb to record that incident though; whatever your take on it.

One thing that struck me, We were talking about deepnet a week or two before the fishing news, and then the newspapers were.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net