Anti-Salmon farm activist guilty of defamation

Jaffa

Don Staniford, former employee of the Salmon farm protest group ltd (suppliers of much of the anti farming press we read in the UK) has just been found guilty of defamation in a Canadian court

Monday, Justice Laura B. Gerow dismissed Don Staniford’s defence of fair comment and justification and ruled the former Friends of Clayoquot Sound campaigner defamed the Creative Salmon Company Ltd. in two June 2005 press releases.

Specifically, Gerow ordered Staniford to pay $10,000 in general damages and $5,000 for aggravated damages.

Creative Salmon did not sue the FOCS.

“Mr. Staniford’s concern when he published the press releases, and during subsequent interviews, was not whether the allegations were true or whether the public interest was served,” said Gerow.

“Rather, he intentionally used inflammatory words and withheld facts in order to achieve his goals of increasing opposition to salmon farming.

“In my view, Mr. Staniford was motivated by actual malice in that he was trying to build up opposition to Creative Salmon as a company that was attempting to obtain organic certification for its fish.”

Full judgement here.

Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Maybe this will make one Mr Bruce Sandison a little more careful with some of his more outlandish statements regarding the scottish fish farming industry

Perhaps Mr Bruce Sandison is already careful with his statements, so they are not outlandish?

I'm pleased there is someone pointing out the problems Salmon farming undoubtedly causes IE escapes, dumping.

Better than letting them operate unchallenged.

Colin

Perhaps Mr Bruce Sandison is already careful with his statements, so they are not outlandish?

I'm pleased there is someone pointing out the problems Salmon farming undoubtedly causes IE escapes, dumping.

Better than letting them operate unchallenged.

Colin

Thats fine if the "problems" they are causing are accurate and not part of another agenda.

For instance, from December 2006 's issue of the "Salmon farm monitor" we get this piece about releases of farmed halibut to the wild: some nonsense (itsthe story three or four paragraphs down - " Animal rights activists attack Scottish halibut farm")

The farmers say it was down to animal rights extremists, and state it was reported by a group called Arkangel; but the SFM disagrees knows better and states that theres a Canadian group of nice environmentalists called Ark Angel, and their site contains no such claims.

Thing is that there is another Arkangel: nutters

who do indeed report that ALF types trashed that farm.

I guess either the SFPG LTD don't have access to google , or, heaven forbid! they do, but have a problem with us plebs being told the truth?! (just my feeling...)

I have no knowledge of the event either way, but i know who i take more seriously if given the choice between John Goodlad and Bruce Sandison. That will mean nothing to almost anyone that reads this. The links might be worth a view though ;):)

Chris.

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net