Estuary fishing

gingerangler

what rod would you recomend for estuary fishing. Planning to fish the mersey estuary but don't know what tackle I need for it.

thanks in advance for any advice.

:clap2: I know this doesn't help much but the rod you use depends on the type of estuary and the conditions you are fishing and as I've never fished the Mersey I can't help there. Generally estuaries are calmer, shallower waters than open beaches or rock marks and the fish you are aiming to catch are generally smaller than those from the aforementioned marks, so a lighter set up would normally be appropriate. Any of the bass, flattie or estuary rods that you see advertised will do the job as long as they will cast 2-4oz. My favourite estuary rod is the Anyfish Anywhere estuary rod. It's light, sensitive and will cast a light weight a long way, you can also use it with a F/S or multiplier reel. If you don't want to spend that much money look at the Shakespeare Bass or Flattie rods, great value for the money and will do the job. I should imagine that parts of the Mersey would require a standard 3-5oz beach rod and that is what I'd advise if you only want to buy one rod, it's a pretty flexible type of rod, I use mine for everything from pout and dabs to smoothhounds and bass. :clap2:

Edited by Norm B

It depends on what fish you want to fish for. I only fish in the Solent, and I only fish for mullet (sad I know, but it is addictive). To fish for mullet you can use a float road, just like you would use on a river or canal. Search through the sea angling forum and you will find loads of discussions on mullet fishing, and there are loads of articles too.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Sea-Fishing-Ar...et_fishing.html

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Sea-Fishing-Ar...gic_mullet.html

Reading these should whet your appetite, but the main point is that you can fish for mullet with the gear you probably already have.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote