Anchors and self-retrieval

orduna

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon so - I didn't have any problems anchoring in 400feet of water using a 1.5kgs grapnel anchor in Scotland, must be a few factors/forces coming into play.

Given that anchors sold specifically for kayaks are of the grapnel variety (and collapse well for storage) I hadn't considered using one of a different design. If I continue to experience dragging at times I'll look into using a different type.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Interesting topic. I make anchors for boats, usually the danforth style between 5 and 7 kgs. I will try and scale it down to make a 1.5kg collapsable type and see how it works out.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hi Specimen. I am really impressed you anchor in 400 feet and the grapnel anchor holds – perhaps you have the advantage of a rocky seabed? Given that the normally accepted minimum scope of anchor line to depth is 3:1, I am even more impressed that you might be carrying 1200ft of anchor line on your yak.

I am not sure that grapnel anchors are sold specifically for yaks (years ago inflatable owners said they same thing), I think it is more a case of grapnel anchors are bought by yakkers, possibly due to the fact they stow well and their lack of holding power is a secondary consideration. I certainly feel anyone fishing over sand or mud seabed would benefit from using a better-designed anchor and the resulting holding power – given an adequate scope of anchor line – may well amaze you.

Hi Orduna

We were anchored in the Sound of Mull not sure what the substrate was.

I know for boats its recommended to have 3times the depth in warp but for kayaks many of us don't use this rule. Mine is more like 2:1 max. In the sound of Mull I probably let out about 500feet of warp anchored in 400feet of water.

I think its a bit of both as to why grapnel anchors are favoured by kayakers - there are a number of kayak retailers out there who sell them for use on a kayak as there are those who buy them from the chandlers for to use on the kayak. I think the grapnels are also sold to Personal Water Craft users too (probably for the same reason - easy to store).

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

make 2 :thumbs:

No worries m8 will make a handfull

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

The Sound Of Mull is mud and crushed shell, very clean ground. Chain is the key to anchoring in deep water..... with a decent amount of chain you can forget the 3:1 stuff in deep water. You can anchor fine with only 30ft excess in 400ft of water, take a look at this discussion:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53680

Basically I chuck the anchor over and as soon as it hits the bottom I tie off, I will drift enough in the wind and tide to put out enough extra, it really doesn't take much. The last time I did it I put out a bit more than planned as I got in a mess tying it off. I got pulled 70yds uptide by a skate, but the anchor held fine as I stayed put once I got there :)

Edited by spanner

Simon Everett said he had a anchor technique/setup that doesn't use break links and hasn't lost an anchor yet. Does anyone know this?

Yes m8 I use the slip method too. I will take a pic and post it up for you, give me ten mins.

Ok it was more like 15, I had to get dressed first to go outside :rolleyes:

The rope on the anchor acts like a trip, the ring will move to the front of the anchor when paddled over. NB the bouy is only for a quick exit from anchoring not for alderney type anchor retrieval.

anchorsetupe.jpg

Edited by GB

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I