Anchors and self-retrieval

orduna

I could do with a bit of expert advice from you lads regarding anchors, I fish on rock and therefore the method of holding is by snagging and snagging only - approx 40-50 foot of water in average tide conditions. I've made an anchor of about 1 pound with 4 "bendable" prongs, which also incorperates a weak trip. However I only used it once as it was a bitch to pull out and in a strong wind creating a rapid drift it was very un-nerving, if I went with thinner wire I doubt it would hold - I therefore devised a "throwaway" method; basically 3 5 inch nails bent to make 3 prongs, this was tied to a short length of 50lb line, with added weight of a piece of any scrap metal this would hold, but it would break after a while - all in all its trying to find a compromise between holding and safety as you can not put as much pressure on the anchor rope in a yak as you would with boat - any ideas would be greatly apprieciated.

cheers space monkey

If you know you are going to lose an anchor when you deploy it you could use the double warp method. This is not a method easily mastered and it does take some practice. Basically you feed your warp through an anchor ring on the end of your chain and tie the end to a cleat downtide of you anchoring cleat this is called your fixed end, then run the anchor out feeding the warp out untill the anchor reaches the bottom, any line fed out will be from your running end. You will now have 2 lines going down to the seabed. On retrieval try pulling the anchor up using your running end. If this fails and your anchor is well stuck you can untie your fixed end and pull in your running end.

This is not 100% as sometime the lines will twist and knot up, but after a while you will learn how to prevent this mainly by maintaining a tight warp at all times.

A throwaway anchor can be made by using 3x 10mm re-bar bent into a hook shape, place these into a piece of 25mm steel or copper pipe and fill the pipe with lead. Care needs to be taken when using molten lead, ensure all items that will come into contact with lead is 100% free from water and ensure good ventilation in workplace.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trying to roll a S.O.T. is unneccessary,I'd love to see a video of someone trying though! :D -if you fall off just jump back on! :thumbs:

Tried it recently but it was bit cold, we managed a roll but got excited and forgot to stop when upright.... :lol:

th_roll.jpg

Neil... :thumbs:

Edited by Neil

Awsome Neil fair play. Gonna fit a seat belt to the Pelly just so I can have a go at that.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

nice one :headhurt: you're madder than Zzippy with his seal launch----love it! :clap2:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Great Video Neil - shows it can be done. Was that in a Scupper Pro and were thigh straps used?

- closer inspection looks like the Scupper.

It is a Scupper Pro in the video clip. It was taken in late November and was a bit cold. Not me I hasten to add, but dangerous Brian in action again. We had a few attempts, one successful, but not on film. Brian used thigh straps but it was difficult to keep your legs in them when you went over.

Good fun and good re-entry practice, every time it goes wrong.... :clap:

Neil...

many thanks gb for info, think I get the idea - been thinking about putting weak link higher up say 2 metres, as its breaking because of rubbing on the rock - i'm sure this will help - cheers space monkey