Anchors and self-retrieval

orduna

Reading the various postings over the past couple of weeks has led me to ponder anchoring and (for want of a better word) self-retrieval.

Anchoring. Many posts have mentioned weight of anchor and length of chain, useful to help set the anchor and preventing chafing of the seabed on an all rope anchor line, but I could not find any discussion on the performance of various designs of anchors (this has been covered by various sailing magazines over the years). I note a folding grapnel anchor appears a popular choice, possibly due to the ease of stowing on board a yak, but their holding performance (unless they happen to be snubbed round a rock on the sea bed) is generally recognised as being virtually nil. An equivalent weight CQR/plough anchor, or any of the modern designs, is a vastly superior holding anchor and may prevent some of the dragging experienced by yakkers? The type of anchor used by yakkers might make an interesting poll?

Self-retrieval. In my younger (and slimmer) days I could roll a kayak with some ease, but has anyone managed or tried to roll a sit on yak? Obviously, the first principle is to stay in the cockpit/seat when the yak is inverted, this might be possible by utilising the sort of knee braces/straps fitted to surf kayaks – but are there sufficient strong points built in to a yak to take the stress? Secondly, would any residual water in the seat well overcome the momentum of the recovery roll? We used to assist the coaching of rolling by having someone standing at the bow and stern to help ‘flip’ over the paddler (you do not need deep water to practice). From the forum it is obvious there are some very experienced paddlers around, but are there any volunteers to have a go next time a group of yakkers meet up?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI

I have used the .75kg anchor for sometime now and once I had mastered the habit of laying out lots of line I have not had any anchor drag even in the Solent. It may also help having a fairly narrow yak which will give less drag than some of the wider models. Obviously the problems get worse the deeper the water.

As for rolling a SOT. Many years ago I was able to hand roll slalom yaks but even with thigh straps I think the chances of rolling a SOT is pretty minimal. Having seen the problems that people can have uprighting them when beside them in the water only the narrower models would stand any chance and that would be minimal at best.

The problem is that the upsidedown profile of a SOT would act as a water scoop causing huge resistance when trying to roll. A sit inside has an excellent profile for rolling.

Some short powerful hunk with good technique and a big blade might be able to pull a polatta, if he did I would be the first to shake his hand. IMHO :D

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

If you know of somewhere that they sell .7kg or 1.5kg plough anchors I wouldn't mind a link,I've looked everywhere and they are all too big. :blink:

trying to roll a S.O.T. is unneccessary,I'd love to see a video of someone trying though! :D -if you fall off just jump back on! :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

i've just had a quick look, 2kg plough anchors are available on ebay for about a tenner including p&p, also seen from jimmy green marine a 4lb sentinel anchor which i think is 15 quid inc p&p my yak is quite wide and i've had probs with the 1.5 kg grapnal in the solent

Edited by mikeb

2007, bass, pout, silver eel

i've just had a quick look, 2kg plough anchors are available on ebay for about a tenner including p&p, also seen from jimmy green marine a 4lb sentinel anchor which i think is 15 quid inc p&p my yak is quite wide and i've had probs with the 1.5 kg grapnal in the solent

if only they made one at 1kg!Looks like I'll stay with my .7grapnel for inshore work and the 1.5(that held me no probs at the Needles)for offshore.That's as heavy as I want to go :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

also just seen a 1.5kg danforth on ebay, might give it a go, i also have chain and as i say a 1.5 grapnal but this didnt hold whilst fishing off lepe at the first drop off on a smallish tide judging from other peoples responses i can only assume this is because of yak design/width

2007, bass, pout, silver eel

Mike I dont know what yak you have but I have fished off Lepe and the tide through there can be brutal once it gets up a head of steam. Having said that with 1m of chain and 70m of line deployed the .75 has held me. I might have got snagged but once settled I didnt go anywhere.

Yep, I think the Scupper is only 27 but also longer which means the profile gives a lower resistance. Be interesting to see the Yaks that do have probs holding bottom. I am not aware that this side of anchoring as been discussed before.

It may be that certain yaks do need atleast a 1.5kg.

I think its the conditions as well as the kayak which could cause the anchor to drag. On the times I have dragged anchor, its usually been a combination of the swell being high & the wind and/or current being strong. Using a 1.5kgs anchor with chain and plenty of warp I've dragged anchor at the Needles and I've seen and read about small boats experiencing problems there too.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow