two topics casting and ring whipping.

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

no level wind. reel is up. i like it up for fishing. my motivation is to cast further whilst fishing. i wonder if i will improve. i tried hard to day but my distances got shorter towards the end.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with regards to the casting if your hitting 140 then just keep practising until you can do it consistanly without thinking,practice for a while and if you start to lose it but know the basic technique go back to your instructor to get it put right then practice again,if you can then hit around that distance consistently then you have pretty much all you need for most fishing circumstances, with regards to the whipping try using an epoxy finish such as seymo quickpro its a bit thicker and finds its own level but will sag if you dont turn the rod, turn the rod 1/4 turn every 10 mins until set and you should get a fairly good finish, more frequently if you can be bothered.Try it out on a bit of dowel to find the optimum.

Hi Winter,

I used to have the reel in the up position too.

Like you, in the beggining I reached a peak and stayed there for a while, then gradualy the big distances came.

Your proberbley looseing distance now, trying to cram to much in.

Better to get a dozen good casts in, and then give it a break till another day,going home chuffed instead of looseing heart with the drop off in distance.

Always end a session on a good cast, never a bad one.

YY :)

Forgot to mention.

Cut a piece of inner tube about 4 inches long, by an inch wide, tape this to thr butt just behind the reel seat, so when you pull it forward it will lie on the spool and then flick back when released from under your thumb.

this will give you good grip on the spool, could add another 5 to 10 yards, belive it or not.

losing distance towards the end is truthfully from trying too hard you try and analyze every cast and end up breaking it down into steps rather then letting it flow, as YY says practice a few casts until you have it working right then give it a few more and then stop.

The next time you go back to it you will find that miraculously you have gained distance without doing anything.

Never been into the casting for castings sake but know what you mean about the addictiveness of acheiving bigger distances used to fish a mark on the Bristol channel where if you didn't fish in this gully at about 150yds you probably caught about a tenth the number of fish than if you did.Practised obsessivley until I could but never really tried after I could consistently hit that range.

Was a valuable time though still use the same self taught aerielised OTG to this day, couldn't tell you how to do it, it just happens, but good to know its there when needed.

Guest jay_con

been out tonight. improved a little i think. casting off the beach so couldnt measure the distance. definately felt i was swing the lead bette, not to sure about the cast though.

I did a few off the ground casts at the end and cast 10 -15 yards further than i had done all night.

Hi Winter,

Might be a good idea to go back to your instructor, before you get into bad technique, and get frustrated.

Sounds like your not compressing the rod enough useing the Pendulum method.

Possibly trying to hit it to hard to soon.

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs but....

pull and push on the butt, aim in the air not out to the horizon.

Keep at it, its worth the effort :)