two topics casting and ring whipping.

Guest jay_con

I'm still very new to this fishing lark and am still casting using overhead thump. I usually fish clipped down rigs and I know that OTG is the next step. Stupid question, but how do you make sure the bruddy rig stays clipped when you're setting up for the cast - I spend more time trying to do that than concentrating on the cast!! :rolleyes:

I would like to get some instruction - can anyone tell me of a good instructor in Ipswich area and likely cost? (payment in beer always my preferred choice)! :D

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

i think its difficult with clips etc to otg cast. someone might have an answer. go for the lessons mate youll enjoy it. guy had me swinging the lead around in about 2 hours. Ok im still pretty crap, my timings terrible, but im casting 50 yards further than i was with overhead thump.

Hi Westie,

Yep,clip down rigs, off the ground dont realy mix.

If your fairly new to the sport(as we all were)

Take time out to whatch other fisherman on the beach casting.

See how they stand, how they set up thier cast.

With most its a bit of a ritual, a personal thing.

Asking a guy on the beach for help would be good.

Ive spent hours with people, lending a hand with the casting.

It was a pleasure for me, and would be for most other fisherman.

Good luck.

Yakity. :)

I now fish an aerielalised ground cast but progressd to that from casting OTG and never really had a problem with clipped rigs just lower your rig until it is just touching the ground then walk away a pace or so to the side lowering your rod tip into the start position as you go (keeping the line taught) then position yourself backwards, forewards, sideways whatever until you are ready to cast.

The trick is to not move your lead but whilst keeping your line taught to move your own position accordingly.

Do it during the day or using your headtorch until it becomes second nature and the you should have no problems.

Winter

I don't fish with a high pendulum swing but as with any lead swinging technique the hardest part as you have probably discovered is starting the cast at the top of the swing (not before and just before it has started to fall again)as YY says pratice just setting the lead up and letting it fall again but try using a slightly heavier lead than normal, this will allow you to do it a little slower and you will be able to feel the rods response as the swing progresses

Guest jay_con

i like the sound of that as i think this pendulem might be difficult in some of the places i fish. what are the distances like in comparison to the normal off the ground? my over head thump is now in a terrible state. i tried iit tonight and its terrible.

Ive been practicing the pendelum tonight again. i can now outcast my off the ground cast. not sure of the distance as im just casting into the sea. i got my trajectory better now too. i think your comment about aiming high seemed to help. i can actually feel the rod bend a little now too.

Distances pretty much the same and definitely enough for most fishing situations Its just the same as an OTG execpt you swing the lead up into the start position so helps to stop your tackle snagging. Not much point if fishing from even sand, shingle, mud or hardstanding(might aswell just cast straight off the deck as there is no timing needed), but if casting from uneven ground then it helps.

Though no expert the only difference I can see with the pendulum is it gives you a larger casting arc, therefore more compression of the rod

[ 03. September 2004, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: chappers ]

Winter.

I forgot to mention.

You can use a tennis ball to practice the cast, and getting it right.

this way you can practice in a small field with no danger of cracking off and hurting someone, or thing.

It will also make casting the lead next time out seem like a pice of pee.

Later.

Yakity. :)