corydoras

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Katerine Tickell is probably the best of the current generation of Northumbrian Pipers but if you get a chance have a listen to Billy Pigg or Jack Armstrong.

The UK's only Bagpipe museum is in Morpeth check out the website:

http://www.bagpipemuseum.org.uk/

By the way Cory, did you know there is strong evidence that tartan originated in Northumberland.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

By the way Cory, did you know there is strong evidence that the Kilt originated in Northumberland.

Where is this evidence then? As far as I am concerned Northumberland is a bit like the Gaza Strip. When they finally repeal that Act of Union that the Parcel of Rogues signed in 1707 that bit too. ;) ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Katerine Tickell is probably the best of the current generation of Northumbrian Pipers but if you get a chance have a listen to Billy Pigg or Jack Armstrong.

Did I ever mention that I stayed in Joe Hutton's house in Upper Coquetdale when I was walking the Pennine Way in 1974? The man himself played for us for about an hour after supper, and he was superb (as well as being a really nice bloke). I think Kathryn Tickell was quite a close friend to him before he died.

Davy

I saw Joe Hutton play in the Rose and Thistle in Alwinton, around about the same time 1974-5. We also had Jack Armstrong the Duke of Northumberlands Piper play at my school trying tto drum up interest in the kids to play the pipes, I thought they sounded wonderful and I fancied giving it a go but was put off by not wanting to look uncool by my mates, talk about missing a chance. Mind you, I could of joined Killlingworth Sword Dancers and did not because I thought it would have been too embarassing!!!

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Where is this evidence then? As far as I am concerned Northumberland is a bit like the Gaza Strip. When they finally repeal that Act of Union that the Parcel of Rogues signed in 1707 that bit too. ;) ;)

Parcel of Rogues?

Until recently, I thought Parcel of Rogues was an average Steeley Span album and an iffy Welsh folk band. Then I remembrered that in Gordon Brown, Scotland seems to have it's very own one man parcel of rogues.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Mind you, I could of joined Killlingworth Sword Dancers and did not because I thought it would have been too embarassing!!!

Somewhere at home I've got some photos of Killingworth performing at Tynemouth Priory in 1973 - that was the first time I'd ever seen rapper. Now that *is* sword dancing. ;)

Parcel of Rogues?

Until recently, I thought Parcel of Rogues was an average Steeley Span album and an iffy Welsh folk band. Then I remembrered that in Gordon Brown, Scotland seems to have it's very own one man parcel of rogues.

It is a Stelley Span album, and may well be a iffy welsh folk band but they get their names from a song written by Robert Burns.

Fareweel to a' our Scottish fame,

Fareweel our ancient glory!

Fareweel ev'n to the Scottish name.

Sae famed in martial story!

Now Sark rins over Salway sands,

An' Tweed rins to the ocean,

To mark where England's province stands --

Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!

What force or guile could not subdue

Thro' many warlike ages

Is wrought now by a coward few

For hireling traitor's wages.

The English steel we could disdain,

Secure in valour's station;

But English gold has been our bane --

O, would, or I had seen the day

That Treason thus could sell us,

My auld grey head had lien in clay

Wi' Bruce and loyal Wallace!

But pith and power, till my last hour

I'll mak this declaration :-

'We're bought and sold for English gold'--

The 'Parcel of Rogues' were the Scots Nobles (spit!!) who signed the Act of Union.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It is a Stelley Span album, and may well be a iffy welsh folk band but they get their names from a song written by Robert Burns.

Hard song to sing, that one - it seems to have a range that's just slightly wider than my own... :unsure:

Somewhere at home I've got some photos of Killingworth performing at Tynemouth Priory in 1973 - that was the first time I'd ever seen rapper. Now that *is* sword dancing. ;)

Cory will probably disagree, he would call someone prancing over some swords laid on the ground sword dancing. If your going to dance with swords hold on to them and if you drop one then you get the beers in.

Tony

Tony