Taking a dip

dan01

Just wondering how prepared people and there tackle are to capsizing.

I ask because a recent trip led a kayak capsizing. This was down to bad anchoring. The person was fine, and was able to stay calm and right the yak, and climb aboard. But there was no chance on retrieving all of his tackle. With most of it sinking never to be seen again. I know bungees were used to strap down his gear and that helped, but there was still a rod and reel lost amongst other things.

So now i am going to try to add some sort of buoyancy device to each separate bit of kit. And wonder if anyone has done anything similar?

My rods are leashed, my tankwell box clipped to the kayak has a secure lid on it which remains closed. Other bits and pieces are either in a zipped deckbag, or in the center hatch. The only loose items are a sponge and small bait container I keep in the cockpit.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Everything I carry is leashed :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Everything I carry is leashed :thumbs:

Ditto, or strapped down. But I had to learn the hard way too. Me and my crate went over the side as I was testing how far I could lean her over, while I was bungied up and getting bored not catching. Lost everything (and I mean everything - I'd come prepared for night fishing, as well) except 2 leashed rods and my anchor which got caught under a bungy. I can laugh about it now, but I was definitely not amused at the time and very glad there was no one else around to witness it :D I've also lost stuff getting dumped in the surf a couple of yards out from the beach, but the main probem here is breakages, as anything sticking up, like rods or night lights, are likely to snap if the yak goes belly up.

Ditto, or strapped down. But I had to learn the hard way too. Me and my crate went over the side as I was testing how far I could lean her over, while I was bungied up and getting bored not catching. Lost everything (and I mean everything - I'd come prepared for night fishing, as well) except 2 leashed rods and my anchor which got caught under a bungy. I can laugh about it now, but I was definitely not amused at the time and very glad there was no one else around to witness it :D I've also lost stuff getting dumped in the surf a couple of yards out from the beach, but the main probem here is breakages, as anything sticking up, like rods or night lights, are likely to snap if the yak goes belly up.

great advice, need to start making some leashes etc :thumbs:

great advice, need to start making some leashes etc :thumbs:

I used ones meant for an outboard engine

but now I have made some using plastic hooks from HOOK 1 and some bungee cord!

dont buy as so easy and cheap to make your own.

my coolbox is rigged out with lots of lips and bungee to keep in place

posted on here last week

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

• 2 weeks later...
Done some work, and this was the outcome post-9987-1171482173_thumb.jpg

Looks good !

Simple rule.....

' NOTHNG I am not prepared to lose goes on my kayak UNLESS it is secured to IT or to ME '.

for the record I lost a brand new I-COM VHF :(

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard